8 - The Kindness of Strangers

Book: Marshall Twins
Chapter 8
Word Count: 5872

Klaus was leaning against the railing of the balcony. Elijah stood in the room behind him.

"Every last exit is sealed." He spoke up. Klaus turned around, walking closer. "If you're thinking about jumping, don't. I already tried it. I landed in the world's most pretentious wine cellar."

"You sorted it by vintage." Klaus muttered, causing Elijah to furrow his brows. "You don't remember, do you? I thought Marcel was intent on retrieving your memories."

"He was. He failed." Elijah responded. "I still remember absolutely nothing. Antoinette is dying."

"Is she?" Klaus asked, sarcastically. "Right, yes. I'd forgotten."

"What the hell are we doing here? What is this place?" Elijah questioned. "This is dangerous, you and I here together."

"We're not actually here together, are we? Not physically, at least." Klaus sighed. "It's called a Chambre de Chasse. It's a magical, mental prison designed to resemble our home. But don't worry, there's always a way out. A game or a riddle."

"How do we solve this riddle?" Elijah wondered.

"We don't do anything." Klaus shrugged, walking closer. "We're square, you and I. You got Avery killed and Antoinette will die because of me. I would hate to upset that delicate balance. So, I'm gonna find my way out and you're on your own."

Klaus then walked away, leaving Elijah alone. 

---

Klaus walked downstairs into the courtyard. He looked at the portrait of Elijah, which was slashed and covered with blood. A door opened and closed, causing Klaus to immediately spin around.

"Who's there? Show yourself!"

"Oh, Nik. Always so dramatic." A sudden voice teased playfully, and Klaus immediately knew who it was. He turned and saw none other than his beloved little sister.

"Rebekah." Klaus smiled.  Rebekah returned the gesture and walked closer to embrace him, both of them sighing in relief.

But that was when Kol suddenly appeared from literally thin air, landing on the couch. Klaus and Rebekah pulled away to look at him, as Kol scrambled to his feet. He looked down at his naked body, sighing.

"Oh, bloody hell. My least favorite recurring nightmare." Kol then left to get dressed.

"I was in Corsica, drowning my sorrows about Avery, when I suddenly dropped." Rebekah told, uncorking a bottle of wine and pouring it, only to find it empty. She chuckled, turning around. "What I wouldn't give to spend just a decade without being dragged into a god forsaken Chambre de Chasse."

Kol walked in, wearing clothes. Klaus turned to look at him.

"I suppose you were in a board meeting."

"I was waiting for my wife to come home from work." Kol retorted. "Once again, ripped from complete contentment for this. I suppose I'll ask the obvious... piss off any witches lately?"

"Actually, my current enemies are a group of hate mongers who see myself and my daughters as abominations to the vampire race." Klaus stated.

"The bigoted undead. Well, that's new. They must have a witch for hire." Rebekah mumbled.

"A witch who's spent enough time here to replicate every detail." Kol added, holding something up. "This is Elijah's prized Cheval Blanc."

Freya then walked down some stairs towards them.