18 - Night Has A Thousand Eyes

Book: Marshall Twins
Chapter 18
Word Count: 3240

Avery and Jackson were walking down the streets of the French Quarter as Avery pushed Hope and Miracle in a twin stroller.

The two talked to each other as they passed locals and tourists milling around the street, along with street musicians who were playing various instruments. Hope and Miracle were giggling to eachother. Avery smiled lovingly and tickled her little girls.

"Well, Mrs Marshall-Kenner, now that you've got a real local to show you around the Quarter, what would you like to see first?" Jackson smiled.

"Oh, Mr Kenner, I'd ask to see your old haunts, but we do have two impressionable young ladies with us." Avery grinned, tickling Hope and Miracle again, making the two babies erupt into happy giggles again.

They came upon a violinist on the sidewalk who was playing an upbeat tune, and so they stopped to listen.

The violinist continued playing the tune a little longer before smiling and dramatically ending the song. Avery smiled back at the woman and dropped some money into her violin case.

As Avery, Jackson, Hope, and Miracle walked away, the violinist started playing a much slower tune. Avery paused, looking unnerved as she looked over at the violinist, who was staring at them, and Jackson looked at Avery in concern.

"That song..." Avery whispered. "What is it?"

They looked back at the violinist again, who was still staring at them creepily, and Avery, alarmed, quickly turned back around and started walking.

As they headed down the street, Avery started scanning their surroundings and saw a waiter writing a message onto the chalkboard outside of a restaurant that reads, 'A promise made is a debt to be paid.'

Avery became even more alarmed, but tried her best to play it cool in case someone else was watching. Suddenly, they were stopped by a man holding two large, long-stemmed red and black flowers in his hand.

"Flowers, miss?" He held one each out to Hope and Miracle. "Gifts for the children."

Jackson sensed Avery's alarm and stepped in.

"Uh, no, we're alright. Thank you!"

"You sure?" The flower salesman asked. Avery looked at the man suspiciously as he held up the flowers and smiled creepily. "Black dahlias are in bloom. They're quite lovely."

Avery, now fully afraid, started to walk past him, but the man grabbed her tightly by the arm as both of his eyes turned pure white. Out of nowhere, Klaus appeared and shoved the man against a post as he put him in a choke-hold.

"Show yourself, witch!" Klaus growled.

Suddenly, Jackson was overwhelmed by an unknown force as the flower salesman's eyes returned to normal. After a moment, Jackson's eyes became pure white, indicating that he was now being temporarily possessed by Dahlia.

"Klaus!" Avery exclaimed, startled. Klaus turned to find Jackson standing straight in front of them. Jackson/Dahlia began to speak

"I am here. I am everywhere. And I intend to take what is mine."

"It's her." Klaus realised, shocked.

Jackson groaned as Dahlia left his body, and he looked completely confused when he saw Avery and Klaus staring at him in shock and fear.

"Hey, what just happened?" Jackson wondered, concerned. Klaus sighed.

"Dahlia."

---