174.

Brett eventually came out of the bedroom and began making dinner, not saying a single word during the whole process. The silence made Eddy uneasy, which in turn made Elise uneasy. Not even her shark could make it better even with the jaws theme playing from Eddy's phone.

"Dinner's ready," Brett said, and Eddy could immediately tell his tone was off. Eddy stood up before lifting Elise up as well.

"Thank you, we'll just wipe some snot and we'll be right there," Eddy said, trying to give Brett a smile. Brett didn't even look at him, and the feeling of having done something wrong intensified.

Brett felt terrible as Eddy went with Elise to the bathroom to wipe snot. He knew he had fucked up badly, he knew he had said things that had hurt Eddy. Sure, he had been worried, but that was no excuse. Eddy hadn't done anything to deserve becoming the outlet of Brett's worries and frustration.

He tried to make up for it by cooking Eddy's favourite meal, by backing off to cool down, by making sure he was done crying about it when he came back out to see Eddy. It would be wrong of him to have Eddy comfort him after how he had spoken to him.

"Like that," Eddy said as he came back with Elise and put her down in her high chair. They thought she was too young to be in the high chair, but at their last checkup they had been told it would be fine as long as she could sit up. "We'll get you some yummy yummy milk after baba and daddy have eaten, okay? It's not dinner time for you yet."

Brett watched Eddy find the shark for her to play with while they ate before sitting down across from him.
"Smells great," Eddy said, grabbing a portion of the food Brett had cooked up. It wasn't really a recipe, just something they happened to mix up once they didn't bother going to the store. "Our super weird special meal."

"Yeah, thought I'd make something good for you. You know, to apologize for being an ass earlier," Brett said quietly, taking a portion of the food himself. Eddy reached over the table and placed a hand on his arm.

"Bretty, you were just worried. I should probably have showed my worry more," Eddy said softly, stroking his arm carefully with his thumb. "You don't have to apologize. It's just endearing that you love her so much."

Brett shook his head.
"It's not endearing to talk down to your partner over your child having a cold," he sighed. "I'll make it up to you somehow. I'm so sorry."

A moment after Brett's apology, Elise tossed the shark over the table with a squeal, making both adults jump.
"I guess I should apologize to you, too, huh?" Brett said to her as he stood up to go fetch her shark. Elise shrieked at him, pleased with the fact that he was fetching the shark.

"I don't think she's gonna remember," Eddy shot in, taking a bite of the food. He was starving.

"Well," Brett began, giving the shark to Elise who immediately hugged it to her chest. "I'm sorry I frightened you anyway, baby. I'll try not to do that again."