63.

"You're completely sure you're with me on this?" Brett asked for probably the millionth time as he watched Eddy close the oven door on the lasagna that they had made for the dinner with Leonora and presumably some of her family that was happening in less than half an hour. Brett felt like he was going to pass out from nervousness.

"Completely sure, one hundred percent," Eddy sighed, setting the timer on his phone for the lasagna. He had already answered this ten times. "I'll have your back if you love me, I'll have your back if you don't love me, I'll have your back if you decide you don't want me to have your back anymore. Nothing can change that."

"But I keep treating you like trash, I shouldn't expect this of you. Am I guilt tripping you into this? Is this another trick to get to be closer to me? Because then I've really fucked up, I mean..."

Brett's voice trailed off as Eddy wrapped his arms around him in a tight hug.
"If everything goes right tonight, we'll be a little family in six months' time, Brett," Eddy mumbled into his hair, stroking his back. "Maybe as a couple, maybe just as friends, but I'll back you either way, okay?"

"Of course we're gonna be a couple, unless you don't want me anymore," Brett sighed into Eddy's chest. Eddy shrugged.

"We're not really a couple yet, though, officially, I mean," Eddy pointed out, and Brett furrowed his brows at the realization. "And I get that, I mean it's a bit soon maybe, you haven't had time to actually see if I'm worth loving and staying with and..."

"Will you be my boyfriend, Eddy?" Brett asked, looking up at him. "Officially."

Eddy got a beautiful shade of pink over his cheeks, eyes flickering nervously, not really meeting Brett's.
"You don't have to do that, Brett, I know it's a bit soon maybe. I know it's just to make me feel better."

"Soon? I'm like fifteen years late, and I'm asking just to make you feel better. I really want to be able to say you are my boyfriend. It feels more permanent, and I like that," Brett said, words just tumbling out of him before he had time to think. He didn't mind spilling his feelings to Eddy like this. "I plan on being with you forever."

"Okay," Eddy mumbled shyly, cheeks burning after Brett's little speech. "I'll be your boyfriend."

"God, I love you so much," Brett sighed burying his face in Eddy's chest again. He wanted to kiss him, but didn't want to scare him off after just getting to call him his boyfriend instead of best friend.

"I love you too, Brett," Eddy sighed into Brett's hair as they heard the doorbell go off. Both turned their heads towards the sound.

"I'll... I'll go answer that," Brett mumbled, slowly and unwillingly releasing himself from Eddy's embrace. Eddy nodded, and Brett turned to go to the hall.

He didn't get one step away from Eddy before he felt his hand on his arm.

"Brett, just one thing before you do. It's important, I think," Eddy said, sounding more nervous than Brett felt. He turned to see what it was, and just a short moment later Eddy pressed a chaste kiss to Brett's lips.