22.

Eddy had considered making an excuse to not go to Ray's party when he was invited a week later. He knew how wrong it had gone the last time, but he figured a few hours in a drunken daze couldn't hurt. Besides, Leonora wouldn't be there until around eleven.

So when he got to sit on Ray's couch with a drunk and giggling Brett in front of him, he was sure he'd made the right choice by being there.

"Duude, Eddy... Man... I'm sorry I fucked up... and that I left and all..." Brett mumbled, taking another sip out of his plastic cup. Eddy leaned against the back of the couch, running a hand through his hair. Why did Brett have to bring that up?

"Don't worry about it, Brett. It's okay. You're just..."

"No but it's not okay! You're my best friend and I love you, man," Brett interrupted him, spilling some of the contents of his cup as he leaned forward to touch Eddy's arm. "I really really really do even though I suck man, I'm sorry."

Eddy followed the line from Brett's hand on his arm and up to his face where his red cheeks from the alcohol and sparkly eyes were staring him in the face. His heart skipped a beat.

"Don't apologize, Brett," Eddy mumbled, moving his eyes away from Brett's adorable face to look at the people dancing just a few meters away. He took a large gulp from his own plastic cup. "It's fine that you'd rather be with her."

"Don't be funny, Eddy, I wanna be with you too," he said, scooting closer to his younger friend. "I love Leonora, but you're still my best friend."

Eddy emptied his cup. He needed more alcohol in his system to deal with this.
"So that's why you skipped work like three days in a row," Eddy said, rolling his eyes. It still stung, sitting three days in his room and reading notifications about the "TwoSet drought."

"Dude I apologized like forty times," Brett sighed, running his hand through his hair with frustration. "How can I make it up to you, Eddy? How can I..?"

Eddy put his cup down on the coffee table and looked at the man he had fallen so hopelessly in love with. All he wanted to do was to be close to him.

"I know... I know I shouldn't ask for this, but..." Eddy slurred, and Brett furrowed his brows.

"Anything, Eddy. Anything to keep my best friend," Brett interrupted him, licking his lower lip. "I know I fucked up, Eddy. I'm sorry."

Eddy met his beautiful eyes and his heart went racing. He knew he had no right to ask this of him, and yet, selfishly enough he would. He just needed to be close with him.

"Make me feel good, just one last time, Brett. Please," Eddy half whispered, feeling his hands shake more as the answer delayed. He searched Brett's eyes for anger, but found none. He searched them for disgust and again he found none. All he found was worry.

"Are you that lonely, Eddy?" Brett asked, biting his lip. Eddy was tempted to just lean forward and kiss him right there and then. To ruin over a decade of friendship. He knew he'd lose him anyway, so why keep it secret anymore?

"I..." Eddy began, but was quickly interrupted by Brett standing up and throwing back the last contents of his cup. Eddy felt the nerves in the bottom of his stomach act up.

"Let's do this, then. Comeon," Brett slurred and grabbed Eddy's hand to pull him through the crowd and to Ray's guest room. "One last time, okay?"