~ Part 62 ~

For the first time in a while, everybody had decided to hang out in the living room of the house. Jade had come over, finally, and we were having a little girly chit chat while I laid almost on Colby. His arm was lazily around my shoulders and he was pretty relaxed on the couch next to me. Rachel's arrival was later than usual but I hoped that wasn't for a bad reason. Of course, lately, nothing was good. Rachel burst through the front door and slammed it as hard as she could behind herself. Everyone turned, looking at her like she was mad. "You don't want to know." She said.

"What happened?" I quickly stood up and walked around the couch. Rachel just shook her head and shivered as she thought about it. A second later, there were three loud bangs on the door. I looked between it and her but she still said nothing. "Who's behind the door, Rach?"

"My... my mother." I raised an eyebrow. Without any hesitation, I walked to the door and opened it. But what I saw on the other side was not what I expected. I sucked in a breath and took a few steps back. I'd know that woman anywhere. She was a bitch who'd done nothing good for anybody in her entire life.

"Vanessa?!" She exclaimed in pure shock. I slowly processed what Rachel had said. That was her mother... she couldn't be. There was something off. I couldn't... that wasn't possible. "One of my daughters wasn't enough for you, huh?! Had to steal away the other one!" I was speechless and frozen.

"Mother, what are you talking about?" Rachel asked like the woman was mad. To everyone else, the woman was mad. That tattoo on her wrist meant nothing to them.

"Where is she, Vanessa?! Where's my daughter?!"

"I'm—"

"Not you." She snapped at Rachel, glaring at her. I took another step back. Almost on instinct, I felt Colby come up behind me and gently grab my hand. But I didn't look at him. "And I see you've abandoned all of your morals. You're dating a vampire now?" My anger flared up.

"That's rich coming from you." I snapped.

"Ness, how do you know her?" Rachel asked exasperatedly. Her eyes were begging and that was something I just couldn't ignore. I looked back at the woman and my eyes flashed purple as I growled. She took a step back; far enough away that I felt comfortable she wouldn't be able to do any damage when she heard the news.

"Rachel, you didn't know her, but there was a woman I've been friends with for years. And not long before we met you, she died." The woman outside gasped. "Her name was Cathy. And that's her mother."