~ Part 21 ~

"You sure they can't hear?" She whispered so quietly no normal human would have heard it. What was going on? Why couldn't Jake know about this?

"Yes, I'm sure. Why'd you wanna talk?" I asked impatiently now. She was being cryptic and still just staring at me.

"I want, need you to do me a favour." Her voice was already begging minus the whine that usually comes with it. Something told me this favour was something Jake didn't like. When I showed that I was listening, she continued. "I... I want to be like you, Ness. Seeing you human then as a vampire... well I figure being a vampire isn't as bad as the guys say it is." I couldn't stop staring at her now. Is she insane? I didn't become this by choice: I almost died then did technically die. I'm grateful that I still have a life of some sort but the blood lust thing... it's only under control because I had to control my other powers for so long I'm just used to it.

"Tara, it's not a good idea, alright? And I know you're only coming to me because Jake said no at some point." I started explaining, keeping my ears out for listeners. "And if Jake said no, then maybe it's because he doesn't want to feed from blood bags, as selfish as that might make him. And if it's not that and he loves you, then he doesn't want you to have to be a vampire forever." I paused to take in her expression. She was listening but the words didn't seem to be processing in her head. She was imagining life like this. "Being a vampire isn't as easy as I may have made it seem. The guys already have experience, I had to control my Lupa form for a little while before I became a vampire. What I'm saying is, we've all had experience controlling things that you haven't had." A tiny tear rolled down Tara's cheek and I felt horrible about it. I didn't want to make her cry but if that's what she's going to do because she can't get her own way then...

"He said he didn't want to turn me because he doesn't know if we'll last forever." She mumbled, knowing I'd hear her little speech coming up. "And so I came to you because then I could justify that I wanted your life rather than wanted to be with him forever. I just think it's unfair. You all get speed and strength. You can tell when we're feeling certain ways or sometimes can make an educated guess on what we're thinking. You can hear things really well all over the house, which makes you all have inside jokes us girls don't understand." She glanced up into my eyes looking pleading. "And we all want your life. You still get to be with Colby, just as happy as before, and get all the same perks. We want that with our boyfriends." Am I even allowed to change her? Jake might try to kill me for it and Colby might not let it be allowed, considering he's leader and all that.

"I'm sorry, Tara. I can't do anything like that without either Jake or Colby's permission. And I think even Jake needs Colby's permission to do anything, too." I stared at her for a moment, contemplating the thoughts in my head. "But I'll talk to Colby and see what I can do." A bright smile spread across Tara's face of pure excitement. She stood up on her toes to hug me then motioned to the house. I sped there straight to the door leading to the garage and we walked inside casually together.