~ Part 38 ~

Rachel had a strange pull to her. My muscles just compelled me to stay with her just like they had compelled me to Colby. She was so innocent and vulnerable and maybe Edward was right. Maybe I did feel the need to be a hero as much as I could but I just wanted to make sure she was okay. She was only quite young and had no idea what life still had to throw at her. Speaking of, the way the covers laid showed off her innocent face to me, making her literally look like an angel. "Ness, it's going to be light soon." Colby's voice carried all the way upstairs. I placed a spare phone on the bedside table with a note that said 'Trust the girls, text Katrina when you wake up. - Vanessa.' Before I sped downstairs. Colby was waiting at the door for me, Sam and Kat in front of him. I guess he's coming back to mine.

"Kat, I need you to be around during the day from now on. At least a bit. Maybe... could you Devyn and Tara take turns? I just want someone to be with her at all times just in case." I rambled out, the words barely intelligible to even me. Katrina smiled and stepped up to me, placing her hands on my shoulders.

"We already figured that out, Ness. The guys need less sleep so after me, they're gonna take turns." I opened my mouth but she beat me to it. "And they'll call you specifically if anything is wrong with her at all." I sighed and nodded, pulling Kat into a quick hug.

"Thanks. I'll be back soonish. As soon as the sun goes down if I can." Sam nodded then I turned to Colby and grabbed his hand as we walked out to the drive to get into my car. "I'm still worried." I admitted, starting the engine. Colby looked at me, confused.

"What is it about her?" He asked quietly. I could feel his eyes on me and I understood it. I was just as confused as to why I was so protective over her as he was.

"I'm not sure. I just want her to be safe and I'll do almost anything to ensure that she is." There was a long beat of silence in the car before Colby said:

"That's not possible to happen so fast." I immediately let out a laugh and glanced at him, my hand motioning between us.

"Did you forget how this happened? We fell crazily in love with each other within DAYS, Colby." Colby's hand landed on my thigh and squeezed lightly. My body responded well, my muscles releasing from their tense state and my stomach untwisting.

"That's a romantic bond, though. What's going on with you and Rachel?" I sighed and shrugged my shoulders. How was I supposed to know? It wasn't the main part of my mind compelling me to her.

"I just know that she needs to survive and I'll kill Edward if I need to."