Chapter 58: Moving On For The Better

Start from the beginning

"Yes. Send her in", Jenn says sounding likes she's been crying.

"Thanks Mia", I say smiling at her.

I knock on the door and I slowly open it to find Jenn fixing her mascara in her mirror. I was right she's been crying. 

"You know for someone that just passed one of the largest bills in history you don't look all that thrilled."

She closes the mirror and puts it back into her purse. "I am."

"What's wrong?" I say walking closer to her.

"Nothing. I'm just happy that it passed."

I tilt my head, "Jenn."

She looks down and doesn't say anything.

"You don't have to tell me but I'm here if you want to talk about whatever is making your checks so rosy."

She laughs."Things at home aren't good."

I stand there not knowing what to say. It's a bad thing, but is it a good thing for us?

"Jenn I'm sorry."

"It's ok. Things are about to get a lot better."

Yeah I don't know what she's getting at.

I look down, "I know something that will make you feel really better."

"What?"

"Me", I say smiling. "It's the weekend. We don't have to work tomorrow-"

"Rachel my work doesn't end when I leave this office. I work around the clock."

"Exactly why you need to relax and enjoy yourself while you can. From the reception today it looks like many people want you to run for President. Which I knew you were going to already."

She takes a deep breath, "I can't even think about that right now."

"I know you have a lot on your mind. I'll get out of here, I just wanted to say congratulations."

She stands up and gives me a hug. She lays her head on my chest for a moment.

"Bye", I say as I leave her office.

I walk by Mia and she calls me into her office. "Rachel, I need you to-

"Hi Mia, is my wife in her office?"

I turn around to see Jenn's husband with a bouquet of flowers in his hands.

"Hi Greg, yes she's in there."

He notices my presence and looks over and says hi as he exits Mia's office. I roll my eyes, making him look back raising his eyebrow.

**********

Jennifer's POV

I hear a knock on my door and I look up to see Greg standing in the doorway.

"What are you doing here?"

"I came by to tell you our problem is taken care of."

I laugh, "You mean your problem."

"Jenn-"

"No. If you just kept it in your fucking pants we wouldn't have problems", I spit out.

"Baby I know", he says touching my shoulder.

I get out of my chair to walk across the room away from him.

"I got you these." I look down at the flowers he's handing me, and back over at the ones that sit on my desk. The flowers on my desk are beautiful, sentimental, thoughtful. The store bought flowers wrapped in my favorite color don't compare.

I cross my arms and he gets the hint. He places them down on my desk. "Jenn I know that it's bad it took this situation to wake me up, but it has. I know we've had our fair share of problems, but moving forward I will be commited to our marriage, commited to us. I know you dont want to hear it right now-"

"You're right, I don't want to hear anything you have to say."

"It may not seem like it sometimes, but Jenn I love you. You're my first love. I want a clean slate."

"Are you done?", I question.

"Jenn-"

"I was respectful in giving you time to speak, but now you're going to shut the fuck up and listen. Greg you've hurt me in the past and I overlooked it, but this?", I pause. "You got her pregnant."

He walks over to me trying to calm me down. "Don't fucking touch me. You dont get that right anymore."

He backs away in defeat.

"You did the worst possible thing you could ever do to me, and now you're standing here expecting me to just forgive you? It doesn't work that way....So heres how it's going to go. You'll sleep in the guest bedroom, when I need you for appearances you will be there. You do you and I'll do me. Considered us unoffically separated."

I stand there proud. Usually I'm weak in forgivess because I love him, but no more. No longer will I spend time on people or things that make me feel pain.

I pick the flowers off desk and smell them. I look him in the eyes and shove the bouquet in his chest. "Now get the fuck out of my office."