Chapter 49: What Do I Really Want?

Start from the beginning

"It's nothing. Someone not in my regular circle has a little crush on me but-"

"But what? Are you interested?", she questions.

"Somewhat, but it will never work."

"Why not?"

"There's many factors playing against us."

"Like?"

I take another sip of wine, "I don't care to share right now."

"Jenn no one is saying you have to marry the guy, have your fun behind closed doors and reap the benefits of living your life like a single woman."

I look down wanting to correct her, but that will just open up a whole nother can of worms.

"You know I'm not that type of person."

"None of us are ever that person. But if you find a person that checks your boxes why not go for it? What's the fun in politics if you can't have a sleazy affair?", Lisa says arching her eyebrows.

I shake my head and laugh, "I got into politics to make a change for the public. Not to carry out some kink."

"And that's admirable, but you need to put yourself first for once."

**********

Rachel's POV

"Hey T."

"How are you?", Terrence says lifting me off the ground in a bear hug.

I smile, "I'm good."

He comes in the door looking around, "The place looks great."

"Thank you."

"So what's new with you it's been a minute?"

"Oh you know, just preparing for world domination", I say boasting.

He smiles, "I wouldn't put it pass you."

"I start law school tomorrow."

"Man time is going by fast, it seems like just awhile ago you decided to pursue law and now look at you."

"Well when I put my mind to something I'm dangerous."

"Don't I know it", he says laughing.

I lean my head against my hand, "T, how's my family doing?"

"They're good. B knew I was coming to see you today and he told me to tell you Otto fucked up and he's sorry."

The words briefly bring a smile to my face. When we were younger me and Brandon would watch Rocket Power together all the time. He would say he's Otto and I'm Reggie.

"He's not sorry enough to pick up a phone though", I say.

"He knows you're still mad at him."

"I have every right to be. What he did is unforgivable. And my parents don't even get me started."

"I know Rach, they all love you though", Terrence says trying to make me feel better.

"Honestly I don't care anymore. I'm building a life for myself that isn't controlled or judged and it feels great."

He smiles, "How's work with Senator Abner?"

My heart flutters at the mention of her name. "It's good, I'm learning a lot."

"It's weird not hearing you talk shit about her."

"Who are you telling?", I say trying to play it cool. "So what's up with you?"

"I got the IT job I told you about."

I shove him, "Congrats! Why didn't you start with that?"

"I'm not a show off like you", he says laughing.

"I'm so happy for you. I know you really wanted it."

"Thanks."

"We have to celebrate", I say excited.

"My girl is actually throwing me a party."

"Wait. Girlfriend? When did this happen?", I question.

"We've been dating for a cool minute. You don't see her on my ig?"

"No sorry. When I see straight people I keep on scrolling."

He laughs, "Come to the party and I'll introduce you. You can bring what's her name?....Avery"

I look down and fake smile, "Yeah that will be great."

As each day passes I feel more guilty. I need to figure this situation with Avery out soon. Even if Jenn and I don't amount to anything I need to free Avery from my bullshit. I'm just scared if I do I'm going to lose her for good.