Chapter 36

*Astons POV*

I walked down to the corridor humming She Makes Me Wanna with a tray of drinks in my hands. I looked down at my tray, making sure none of the drinks were going to spill.

'Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck' I heard someone say. I looked up to see Sara stood in front of me, pacing up and down.

'What's wrong?' I asked her, confused to why she would be so nervous. She opened her mouth as if she was trying to say something, but nothing came out. She just looked at me with a worried expression. Her gaze drifted to the stairs, then back to me. I looked down at the stairs to see Chloe laid sprawled out at the bottom, her body lifeless with the wheelchair on top of her, one of the wheels still slowly spinning. I dropped the tray to the floor as my mouth dropped, the mugs that were on the tray smashing into pieces when they hit the hard cold floor. I sprinted down the stairs to Chloe, collapsing on my knees next to her body and hauling the wheelchair off her.

'SARA, CALL I FUCKING AMBULANCE!' I yelled at Sara.

'I already have' she said quietly.

'Chloe baby, can you hear me?' I panicked, placing my hand on her thigh and rubbing it slowly with my thumb in attempt to comfort her. Her eyes slowly opened, but only slightly.

'Get away from me' she managed to say. I reached my other hand over hers, holding it tightly.

'It's okay Chloe, the ambulance is on it's way'

'Ast.. I said get away from me'

'Chloe, what's wrong?' I asked, slightly hurt.

'Sara told me' she said, her voice croaky.

'Told you what?' I asked, confused. She was just about to reply when she screamed out in pain, he hand clenching to her bump. I looked down at her bump to see her pale denim jeans slowly turning blood red. My confusion about what Sara had told her was pushed to the back of my mind, the baby taking it's place. She was gonna lose the baby.. I knew it. There was so much blood... But I had to stay strong for her and assure her everything was gonna be fine. After about ten minutes of Chloe screaming in pain, unable to tell me why she didn't want me anywhere near her, the ambulance finally arrived.

'Can you please give us some space sir' the male paramedic asked me. I stepped back letting them get to work.

'Chloe, can you hear me?' the female paramedic asked her. Chloe grumbled. 

'Okay, we're going to take you to hospital okay? Now I want you to hold still a moment' she said. The male strapped a yellow box shaped brace around Chloe's head, and laid a bright orange board next to her.

'What are you doing?' I asked, tears welling up in my eyes.

'It's just a precaution, she took a nasty fall. It's just in case there's any damage to her neck or spine' the male paramedic replied. They counted to 3, and then carefully lifted her onto the board. She screamed in pain louder than she had previously been doing.. I hated seeing her like this, knowing I couldn't do anything about the pain she was experiencing. I felt helpless. 

'Sara, explain to the others whats happened' I sniffed, looking up at her. She'd stood there the whole time watching. They carried her out the back and into the ambulance. I climbed in after her and sat next to her. The female paramedic sat with us in the back. She placed an oxygen mask over Chloe's face before the other paramedic sped off, the siren of the ambulance blaring away. I'd always wanted to go in an ambulance, but not like this. I grabbed Chloe's hand and squeezed it tight. She shrugged her hand away from mine, placing it back next to her side. I placed my hands on my lap and stared into space. My tears started rolling down my face faster. I was in so much emotional pain right now; my girlfriend was in terrible pain that I couldn't stop, my girlfriend didn't want me, and there was a chance that I no longer had a child on the way. My life had drastically gone downhill today.

When we got to the hospital, they rushed her inside, me running after them. The paramedics shouted details to the doctors whilst pushing her into a room. They transferred her to a hospital bed and began running round grabbing bits of equipment and doing tests on her. I stood there, near the door, terrified and unsure what to do, tears still falling thick and fast from my eyes.

'Would you please wait outside?' a nurse asked me.

'But my girlfriend..' I started.

'Don't worry, we're looking after her' she smiled reassuringly rubbing my arm. I was escorted into a relatives room and left to myself, waiting to hear whether I was still going to be a daddy or if my little one had well and truly gone...