14; Anger and Assumptions

"...I'm not Natalia,"

Hazel's POV:

"M-mom?"

Seeing after 8 years standing in the flesh only made the memories that I had kept under wraps for that duration fly free, swirling around in my mind as I began to register what was happening.

I felt the power that sustained my confidence hit a big fat 0, my knees becoming weak as she spoke up.

"What are you doing here?" She said bluntly, slipping off her burgundy leather gloves and placing them into her bag as she let herself into the house.

The fur collar of her coat brushed against me and I swallowed knowing that if she walked into the living room Justin would be sitting there which was only probably going to provoke the questions concerning my parents that he withheld from asking me.

"Um..." I stuttered quietly as I stood frozen in my place, the door was still wide open and I could feel a chilly gust of wind blow against my body, not affecting me in the slightest way.

"Well shut the door, you're wasting the heat," She scolded and I quickly shut it, complying to her instruction as she looked me up and down.

She squinted her eyes, her lips closing into a frown as she rolled her eyes. "So..." She trailed off sharply and I met her eyes, her stare boring into me making my heart thud against my chest violently.

My pulse echoed in my ears and I could feel the world slightly spin but I leaned against the door trying to hold maximum stability. "What are you doing here?" She asked again and I opened my mouth to say something but nothing came out....so many words to say, yet I couldn't get them out.

"Haze, who is it?" I heard Justin say and my mom looked at me with raised eyebrows, my silent answer to her previous question banished with the curiosity that Justin's voice had caused.

"Alone in the house with a man you probably don't even know," She muttered disapprovingly under her breath before she turned her head to where Justin walked through.

His posture was relaxed as he walked through and it didn't look like he had partaken in a quick make out, however as soon as he met eyes with my mom he stood a little taller greeting her with confused eyes before speaking up.

"You must be Hazel's mom..." He said to her and she nodded, a grimace washing over her face which made my chest cave in.

"And you are?" She said rudely and Justin lips formed into a frown, his eyes travelling over to mine before he spoke up, looking back at my mom.

"Hazel's boyfriend, Justin," He said slowly, his eyes flickering from me to her before they focused when my mother scoffed.

"You're with her?" She scowled and I looked down at my feet, the familiar sensation that made me feel weak churning around in my stomach.

"Yes, I'm with her," Justin said sharply, "Do you find that hard to believe?" He asked and the room feel into a choking tension as Justin's words challenged my mom...I knew her well enough to never do that.

"You could find someone better, that's all," She said and I sucked in my cheeks looking up seeing her glaring at me before she spoke up, "I know her well and let me tell you that she tends to be the kind of person to put a spanner in the works," She said and I winced at her words but refused to show her that I was hurt...but it was hard when they replayed in my head and I felt my throat tighten.

I could see Justin go to speak up but he refrained when I saw his hands clench.

He swallowed drawling out a quiet irritated uh looking at my already waiting mom.