46; A Turn for the Worst

"You know that you'll need him there with you and you're letting one petty little argument get in the way of that,"

Justin's POV:

"Fuck," I cursed, jabbing the button of the lift repeatedly until the doors closed seconds later.

My heart was beating fast in my chest and everything suddenly began to get hot leaving me feeling not only anxious but uncomfortable all at the same time.

It was only a matter of seconds after Theo had called me that I had Spencer make a sudden U turn in the middle of the road, practically demanding him to put his foot down and get back to Hazel's apartment which deemed harder than I had thought since it always seemed to be rush hour in New York.

Cars horned, nearly skidded and drivers swore but it all went over my head because I had one priority and that was to see Hazel.

I sighed, running a hand through my hair and clearing my mind. My inner turmoil didn't vanish as I made a beeline straight for her door once the lift reached her floor. I knocked frantically, my knuckles tapping against the hard surface, one goal in my head and that was to see if Hazel was okay.

I expected her to put up some sort of fight but it was the sheer sound of deafening silence following after my knocks that had me on edge.

I waited a few moments before knocking again (a little harder this time).

I pressed my forehead against the door when I couldn't hear anything; an uneasy breath leaving my lips as the feeling of dread slowly encased my body.

"Baby..." I sighed quietly, the same unsettling feeling of guilt driving deep into my bones and leaving my body to suddenly feel heavy.

I tried knocking again; steadying my breathing to hear the slightest movement but I couldn't hear anything at all, not even the slight scratch of the door from Blue.

The realisation that she was either ignoring me totally or wasn't in her apartment was what had me pulling my phone out, unlocking it and scrolling through my call log until I came to Theo's name.

I was about to press my finger down but the sound of a door opening had me looking up, my body tensing and then deflating when I realised it wasn't Hazel's.

Mike's door opened, his head popping around the frame until his eyes landed on me.

My lips pressed into a firm line, my hand with my phone dropping a little as I looked at him, my stare a lot sharper than his.

A few seconds went by before I could sense the awkward tension in between us, yet it was slowly taken away when Blue stepped from in between Mike's legs and barked at me once.

My eyebrows raised as well as my jaw setting before he finally spoke up, "Hazel told me to look after him whilst she was um...whilst she was gone," He said, stuttering in between his words when I looked at him.

"Whilst she was gone?" I asked him and he nodded, scratching the back of his neck.

"Yeah, she left like ten, fifteen minutes ago," He said and I sighed through my nose, my stomach feeling like there was a weight in it pulling down, "She looked pretty upset," He added and I nodded, humming sharply to myself as I looked back down to my phone to think quickly.

That makes me feel a lot better Mike, thank you.

I shook my head to myself tapping at my phone unnecessarily; Blue making his way up to my feet as I did. He sniffed around and eventually sat on top of them as I hesitated over ringing Theo, my head messing with me as I let my finger hover over his phone number before I reluctantly pressed his name.