Chapter 38: The Law of Attraction

Start from the beginning

I freeze.

"I'd ask if it was about Dan but you were moaning out Ramon? Randall? I didn't quite get it", he says looking smug.

I continue to get dressed and ignore him.

"Will your new boy toy be joining us at the party tonight?"

I don't say anything.

He laughs as I walk out the door, "Have a good day at work wife. I'll see you later."

**********

"Happy Birthday Senator."

"Thank you Mia."

I retreat to my office for several hours to work on policy preparations for an upcoming Senate meeting.

I hear a knock on my door which knocks me out of my train of thought.

"Senator, do you mind coming with me for a  minute? I need to show you something."

"What is it Mia? I was in the middle of something important."

"It will be quick I promise", she's says walking quickly to the large conference room.

"Surprise!!!!", all of my staff shouts out.

"Oh you guys", I say looking over at Mia.

Mia smiles, "I'm sorry, but we had to do something for our fearless leader."

I look around the room and I see cake, balloons, and many smiling faces. Mia lights the candles and everyone gathers around to sing Happy Birthday.

I blow the candles out and everyone claps and cheers.

"What did you wish for?", I hear a voice shout out.

I look up and lock eyes with the owner of the voice.

"I can't tell anyone or it won't come true."

Rachel flashes a small smile and I avert my eyes from her as I remember my salacious dream.

After spending sometime mingling with my staff I head back to my office to finish what I was working on.

I hear another knock on my door and I sigh, throwing my pen down.

"Come in."

"Sorry to bother you again, but you have a flower delivery."

"Thanks Mia, just set them down."

When Mia leaves I stare at the beautiful arrangement of flowers wondering who they came from. Deep down I'm hoping they came from Greg. He used to send me flowers all the time when we first got married. It was a simple, kind gesture that let me know he was thinking of me.

I examine the flowers and find a card tucked inside. I open it up and it reads "For someone special on a special day." I smile to myself. Whoever sent these didn't include their name, so I'm not sure who to thank.

I hear another knock on my door, and I've accepted that I'm not going to get any work done for the remainder of the day.

"Yes Mia?"

"If I was Mia I would have already quit by now", Rachel says in a playful tone.

"How did you sneak past her again?"

"I know that she likes to take her 15 minute walk break around this time."

"Well then. What kind I do for you Rachel?"

She ignores my question, "Nice flowers. Your husband remembered your birthday?", she says poking fun at me.

"Very funny." It's nice to see she's back in good spirits. I know she's been torn up over her family, but shes not letting it keep her down.

"I'm just joking. I came to say Happy Birthday."

"Thank you."

"I got you something, but it's a little inappropriate for work so don't open it here", she's says handing me a beautifully decorated gift.

I furrow my eyebrow and stop touching it out of fear of what it could be.

She laughs, "It's nothing like that."

"Thanks."

"It's your birthday why do you look sad?", she's ask leaning against my desk.

I sigh,"It's nothing I'm just a little stressed. I have a senate meeting coming up, and also I'm being thrown a party tonight that I don't necessarily want to go to."

"So don't go."

"It doesn't work like that Rachel."

"Don't you ever get tired of living this cookie cutter life? You should break the rules and do what you want."

Just as I'm about to respond my phone rings. I roll  my eyes, "Sorry, I have to take this."

"Ok. Well I hope you at least get drunk at your party, either wise it's no point."

I smile,  "Thank you."