Chapter 24: Hangovers, Realizations, and Rage

Start from the beginning

"Senator, thanks for the book. I'm looking forward to reading it"

She smiles, "Don't mention it."

I walk into the office to see everyone sitting around, "Nice of you to join us Rachel" , Mia says while looking at her laptop.

"Why does she get to waltz in here whenever she wants? I'm tired of her getting special treatment", Nina complains like a five year old child.

"Can you shut the fuck up for once and stop whining?" I mutter, making Avery, Jacob, and even Mia snicker.

"Ok if you're both done now I'll give you today's assignment. It's simple come up with some ideas for the Senator's booth at Pride."

"We're going to pride?", Avery asks with excitement.

"Yes, we will have a booth, and also Senator has been asked to participate in the parade and ride on a float."

"Is attendance mandatory?", Jacob asks in agony. Mia leaves the room without answering his question.

I kiss Avery on the cheek, "Here's your keys. I made sure to lock up."

"Thanks."

I reach for her hand,"What's wrong you've been acting weird this morning?"

"Nothing."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive", she says as she leans in to kiss me. 

"Can you dykes stop and actually do your job?", Nina shouts out. 

Did she really just- 

"What the fuck did you just say?", I asks walking over to her.  

Jacob grabs Nina and walks her across the room in an attempt to separate us. 

"Say it again so I can kick your fucking ass", I yell out. 

"Babe stop", Avery says trying to calm me down. 

Nina breaks free from Jacob to get in my face, "Is that a threat?"

"No it's a promise", I say stepping closer. 

"Good. I'm going to report it", she says with her snarky attitude. 

She walks out of the room and I immediately regret going off the way I did. If she reports it I could potentially get written up. Before I wouldn't have cared, but now that I've seen another side of Senator Abner I really want to stay.  

"I was sure you we're going to swing at her Rachel. I was about to start shouting Jerry! Jerry!", Jacob says laughing. 

I turn to Avery and she looks disappointed. "What?", I question. 

"You shouldn't have done that Rach. You're already on thin ice here. 

"I know, but I wasn't going to sit here and let her disrespect us like that." She doesn't say anything, instead she just hugs me. 

Mia walks in and tells me to go to the senator's office. I sigh, I know what's coming. 

I walk in her office and she tells me to shut the door. She leans her head on her hand, "Ms. Taff what am I going to do with you?"

"It wasn't my fault this time."

"Rachel threats are a serious manner. Did you say, and I quote I'll kick your fucking ass?"

"Yes, but I didn't mean it. I mean I did, but I wasn't going to do it here at least", I reassure her. 

"Rachel we have strict policies against physical and verbal abuse. It will not and can not be tolerated", she says staring into my eyes. 

"So why isn't she in here for calling me and my girlfriend a derogatory term?"

"Have you reported it?", she questions. 

"Well no I'm not a snitch."

She shakes her head,"Rachel between us I know that Nina is rather annoying, but please just try your best to ignore her and let it roll off your shoulder. Be the bigger person."

"So does that mean I'm not fired?", I ask. 

"That's exactly what it means. But just so you're aware this is the second time I've let you slide today."

"Just admit I've become your favorite", I say with a smile.

"Don't push it."

"Ok", I say with my hands up. 

"Now get out of my office so I can do real work instead of babysitting and acting like a high school principal ...Read the book", she says turning her attention back to whatever she was writing. 

She shakes her head and I see her lips curl into a smile.