Chapter 26: Relationships Are A Funny Thing

Start from the beginning

Two tickets for the Darly Hall and John Oates summer tour. My face lights up when I see them. I can't believe she did this. Especially for me. Someone that has been a total bitch to her. 

Over the past months I've gotten to know her better from my frequent trips to her office. I know that over the course of her career she's made mistakes, but she's human and people can change. The Senator Abner that I've gotten to know wants to make a change, wants to fight for  justice, and wants to prove that she's not just another "Do Nothing Bitch" in power. 

After what she told me today on the float I can't help but to be fascinated by her. I want to know more about the clever, thoughtful, easy on the eyes woman that I can't seem to stay away from.

 I open up my laptop and I google Jennifer Abner. I see pictures of her at several events smiling and shaking hands with people.  I google Jennifer Abner lesbian, and I don't know what I was expecting, but I'm only met pictures of her kissing the cheek of another woman, and articles of her stance on LGBT rights. What a bust! I see a link that's title Senator Jennifer Abner hot pics and click on the link. I see pictures of her legs, cleavage, and a picture of her exiting a party where she looks a little tipsy. These sleazy paparazzi photos are a total invasion of privacy. I feel bad for looking at them. 

 "Rachel", I hear a knock on the door and my mother calling out my name. 

"Yes mom?"

"Just checking on you. How was your day? We missed you at church", my mother says sitting down on my bed. 

I sit up and close my web browser, "It was good. Senator Abner had us attend pride to work her booth, and ride on the float with her"

"I guess she has to appeal to them, but she shouldn't have made you go. I'm a fan of the woman but thats her biggest flaw", she says rolling her eyes. 

"She didn't make me go. I wanted to."

My mom looks away and doesn't say anything. 

"Mom how are you lawyer if you are so blatantly against the LGBT community? Aren't you supposed to be unbiased and impartial?"

"Business is business baby."

"What? That doesn't even make sense", I say with a disgusted look on my face. 

"Regina"

"Your father is calling. I'll let you get back to your homework. Good night I love you", she says kissing my forehead. 

**********

Senator Abner's POV

"Nice of you to finally join me for a drink. You've been too busy for me lately."

"Well I was in your neck of the woods so I said why the hell not", I say as Dan gives me a double cheek kiss. 

"You look lovely as always", he says looking up and down from head to toe. 

I place a folder in front of him,"You're too kind...I went over your proposal and it looks good. It just needs a few tweaks."

"The other investors will be glad to hear we're a step closer. Thank you." He takes a sip out of his drink, "How about we go back to my place and you tell me what I need to do to improve?"

I give a fake smile and chuckle, "I appreciate the offer, but no thank you. I have an early morning tomorrow."

Dan looks at his watch, "It's only 9 o'clock. Come on just an hour. That's all I need", he says putting his hand on my thigh. 

I lean in close as if I'm going to kiss him , but move to whisper in his ear, "Dan here's how this is going to go. You're going to go back to your place alone and pray that I'm still interested in your business venture. I'm going to go home to my husband, and you're going to get your hand off my fucking thigh before I hit you with the biggest sexual harassment lawsuit since Roger Alies. How's that?"I say as I tease him by running my mouth across his cheek so he can feel my breath.

He smiles and removes his hand,"Jennifer Abner, the hellcat rears her claws. I've heard stories but to see it in person is just wow... Whenever you're bored of you bottom feeder husband you know my number."

I don't say anything. I grab my purse and leave.

"Fuck", I yell out in my car hitting the steering wheel. I'm so tired of people seeing me as an object.