Chapter 20: I'll Never Be A Nice Girl

Start from the beginning

She nods.

"On my first day working as District Attorney I was told that a nice girl doesn't force their opinions on people. A nice girl smiles, waves, and does what she's told. I should be a nice girl. That was the advice I was given by a mentor on how to succeed at the job. So you see Rachel, I have to be stern or they would call me weak. But either way I'm still going to be considered a bitch. Ask yourself why isn't the politeness and likableness of male politicians ever questioned as much as female politicians. If I was a man, I'd be considered a hero. I would have a cabinet position secured. People wouldn't attack my records."

"Now that you put it that way, that is kind of fucked."

"It is. My time as DA was-"

"Tragic?", she says cutting me off.

"Yes, it actually was because I was silenced and forced to make decisions I didn't want to make if I wanted any type of political career."

"So I was right about you. You care more about perception than justice?"

I bite my lip and look down, "I was a fraud like you said. I had to do what I thought was best for my career. Do you think I actually wanted to prosecute people for selling or smoking weed? No I wanted to go after high crimes, but I was told if I wanted a good rapport I needed to prosecute as many possible and get offenders off the streets. Only now for that record to bite me in the ass with the people that matter most. The people that I'm supposed to serve."

"I can't believe you're a puppet", she says shaking her head.

"I admit I was. But since I was elected senator I've been doing things my way. I vowed never to be a nice girl again."

"Because you want to clean your image up for a run at president."

I shake my head, "Rachel, it's not about cleaning an image up. It's about doing what's right for the people that elected me as Senator, and for myself."

"Did you hire me to fit a quota?", she says as she crosses her arms.

"Absolutely not". I'm offend she would even think that."Your race has nothing to do with it. I hired you because of your ability. Look Rachel. I'm sorry for what happened to your friend . He didn't deserve the injustice he was served. African Americans are treated more harshly, I know that. But we can't go back, we can only move forward. That's why I work tirelessly to right all the wrongs. I'm not saying I'm going to run for president, but what I am saying is that I will do everything in my power to get that lunatic out of the white house in the next few years. His rhetoric has brought out all of the nastiness in people. We are living in hard times. We all need to come together. I'm not perfect, but I'm dedicated to doing this job", I say wiping away my almost formed tears.

"I believe you", she says which shocks me. "Accountability is all I ever wanted to hear from you, millions of others probably do too."

I look down. I know she's right. "It seems like you understand me a little bit now?"

"Yeah. I mean I wouldn't have folded and let men boss me around, but I get why you did."

I laugh. "I'm sure you wouldn't Rachel."

She smiles at me."Does this mean you'll stop terrorizing me now?", I ask.

"The jury is still out on that one.""Ba Dum Chhh",she says likes she's playing a drum.

I laugh as she walks away. "Oh Rachel, before you leave...You and Avery need to see Mia and fill out a form to put in your records."

She furrows her eyebrow, "What for?"