Chapter 17: Things Aren't Always What They Seem

Start from the beginning

"Rachel why are you here?", I say with an austere look.

My change in manner makes her shift uncomfortably, "Oh yeah, I just wanted to let you know that I left my write up on Mia's desk, and I also wanted to let you know that it's never going to happen again."

Her words catch me off guard ."That's good to hear. Can I ask what brought this change of heart on?"

She looks down and fidgets with her nails, "I've been a-"

"Pain my ass?", I blurt out.

She looks up at me and purses her lips, "I was going to say bitch, but that works too... I just feel like you-", she stops herself. "Just know it won't happen again."

I wanted her to continue with what she was going to say, but maybe it's better if she doesn't.

"You know what I've noticed about you Rachel?"

"What?"

"You don't like being wrong or apologizing", I reply.

She folds her arms, "I can admit when I'm wrong."

I hold my hands out, "Well now would be a good time."

She looks at me with her big brown eyes, "I don't think I've been wrong in the things I've said about you."

I nod my head, "I figured that".

"But I will apologize for the way I went about things." She takes a deep breath, "I- I-"

"Ok stop Rachel before you hurt yourself."

She sinks down in her seat defeated. Besides myself, I don't think I've ever met someone so stubborn.

"You know I was a lot like you when I was younger. I was rude, arrogant, stubborn, self sabotaging-"

"Wow might as well just call me a cunt at this rate", she says rolling her eyes.

I chuckle, "My point is.. eventually you grow out of it and realize there's more important things in life than whatever millennial angst bullshit you have going on."

"For a senator you sure do cuss a lot."

I raise my eyebrow, "That's coming from you, who has said approximately 50 cuss words since you've started here."

She looks down and smiles, "good point."

"Rachel I accept your half, non given apology. Just do better ok. I know you're bright. I know you don't care what I think about you, but it's true. It would be a shame if you waste all that potential on your vendetta against me."

She nods and gets up to leave the room.

That's surely not how I expected today to go. Maybe the hard ass guise worked and scared her straight. Quite frankly I hope so, because I don't have the energy to battle someone anymore than I do everyday.

Mia immediately comes into the room to apologize for not screening my unannounced visitor.

"It's ok Mia, just make sure it doesn't happen again."

Just as I instruct her to shut my door I hear my cellphone ring. I roll my eyes when I see the name and face on my screen.

"Hello."

"Hey baby."

"Don't hey baby me Greg. What do you want?"

"I want to talk", he replies.

I rub the temple of my head in annoyance, "I don't have time for you Greg. I have a meeting and I have to endure the 405 freeway later on today. We can talk tonight." I say hanging up the phone.

**********

I pull my car in the driveway and park it in the garage.I walk in my house and and throw my keys on counter as I look over the mail.

A glass on wine is calling my name, but I decide to go get comfortable first. I make my way to my bedroom and pick out a pair of shorts and tank top before I hop in the shower.

I step out of shower and begin to dry hair when I think I hear something. "Greg?, Greg is that you?"

I get no response, so I shrug it off as nothing.

I bend over to dry my legs, and when I stand up I see my husband standing behind me in the mirror. I jump, "Oh My God, you scared me."

"There you are", he says with a smile. Looking over my body. Making me feel dirty and repulsed.

I roll my eyes, "Here I am."

"How was your day?", he asks kissing my shoulder blade.

"Wow that's the first time you've asked that in ages."

"I'm trying to be a good husband."

I turn around to face him,"Well that's also a first", I remark.

Something in him changes and he puts his hand around my neck, slamming me into the bathroom wall, "Look Jennifer".

I keep my calm and look him dead in his eyes,"What?"

This isn't the first time he's put his hands on me, and if I want to run for president it unfortunately won't be the last.

He stares with rage as he can't get a reaction out of me.

"Let go of me", I say as I push him off me.

He backs away and runs his hand through his hair. "I have to take a trip."

I exit the bathroom and go to retrieve my clothes from off my bed. "Where to this time Greg?"

"São Paulo."

"Oh a Brazilian this time.What's her name?", I question.

"Hey", he grabs my arm.

"Didn't I say let go of me", I spit out and yank my arm away from him.

He grabs my shoulder and throws me on bed.

He looks at my naked body as he stands over me unzipping his pants.

Greg gets on top of me and I pull him by his collar, bringing him close. His devilish eyes fall on my lips and I surrender for a kiss.

A kiss turns to several and I help him unbutton his shirt. He pushes me back on the bed and begins to kiss my breast. Wasting no time he stands up and looks down, signifying what he wants me to do. I comply and take him into my mouth until he's rock hard.

He impatiently tells me to bend over on the bed and begins to take me from behind. Thrusting into me fiercely as possible.

"Mmmm", I moan out.

"Fuck!", he exclaims as he reaches his climax. Not caring if I reach mine, he pulls out and plants a kiss on back.

"Don't go", I plead watching him get dressed.

"I have to."

I sit up in the middle of the bed, "You don't, but you'll choose to anyway."

"Yeah whatever Jenn", he says as he finishes buckling his pants.

"Please. I need you", I say yearningly.

"I have to go. My flight leaves in a hour. I'll see you when I get back", he says exiting the room with his phone in hand.

When I hear the front door shut I fall back on my pillow. Thinking when did my marriage get so fucked up.