Chapter 3: Dinner

Start from the beginning

"I actually lived in Violet City. Not too crazy of a city, but everything was purple! Even the Pokémon Center and the PokéMart! They took violet literally," May giggled fondly.

"When did you move here to Petalburg?" Drew asked.

"When I was 9, so about 6 years ago," May said.

"Kids! Dinner!" Caroline's voice called from the kitchen. When they went into the dining room, it was apparent that Norman had made himself useful and had set everything out on the table. Norman sat at the head of the table with Caroline to his right. On the other side of his wife was Max. May to sit to his left, and Drew next to her, across from Max.

"I made breaded pork tenderloin, and there's some salad so help yourself," Caroline said. The atmosphere around the table was very tense, and an uncomfortable silence swept over the room. The only sounds were from the utensils, as everyone began to eat.

"So, how was your day at the gym, Dear?" Caroline asked, trying to break through the awkwardness. Norman placed the steak knife he was holding down next to him.

"The usual, a few challengers, won several, lost a few," he said. His mood improved after he had a bite of the food. Caroline made a mean tenderloin.

"Great job on the food, Honey," he smiled as he took another bite.

"Oh, by the way, Dad, I'm going to go travel in the Jhoto region," May announced. Norman whipped his head to Caroline.

"Do you know about this? Are you okay with this?" Norman asked softly to Caroline.

"I made a deal with May," Caroline said. Norman raised his eyebrows.

"And what is this deal?" Norman asked her.

"She can go if she travels with somebody," Caroline explained.

"Oh, okay, if you're okay with it. Who's the girl May will be traveling with?" Norman asked. May laughed hesitantly.

"Well you see, Mom thought it would be a good idea to travel with Drew," May said slowly. Mt. Norman erupted.

"WHAT!? YOU'RE GOING TO TRAVEL WITH A BOY?!" Norman fumed.

"I traveled with a whole group of guys! What's the issue here!" May asked.

"ONE WAS YOUR BROTHER AND THE OTHER TWO WERE IDIOTS! I DON'T WANT MY BABY GIRL TRAVELING AROUND WITH A BOY WHO CAN TAKE ADVANTAGE OF HER!" Norman raged.

Drew's hair cast a shadow over his eyes as he clenched his fist in anger. He wouldn't ever take advantage of May, the thought disgusted him. May was taken aback by her father's outburst.

"How could you say that Dad! You don't even know Drew! How could you just assume like that!?" May scolded him.

"I can see it, he's got that evil look in his eye," Norman glared at Drew.

"Norman please stop it," Caroline scolded him quietly.

"Dad!" May said absolutely horrified. Drew stood up, pushing his chair back.

"I think I overstayed my welcome," he said, scratching the back of his head.

"Drew never did anything to you! So stop attacking him like that!" May stood up as well.

"Dad, I can tell you, sure he's a little rough around the edges sometimes, but he's a genuinely good guy, from what I've seen, while I don't like the idea of it either, May is in good hands," Max spoke up. May and Drew had left the dining room and were headed towards the entryway.

"I'm so sorry about everything Drew, my Dad loves his family so he's super over protective, that doesn't justify how he treated you though. I understand why you want to leave. Again, I'm so sorry!" May apologized.

"It's alright," Drew said as he slipped his shoes on. The two walked back into the dining room.

"Thank you for your hospitality," Drew said politely. They walked back to the entryway.

"Here," Drew said as he handed her a piece of paper.

"What is it?" She asked curiously, flipping the sheet to the other side and back again.

"It's the ticket to Jhoto. It leaves from Slateport City in 5 days. If we leave for Slateport tomorrow, we should make it there the night before and leave the next day," Drew explained.

"Wow, really short notice," May said.

"Yeah sorry about that, I meant to get her a couple days ago, but I ran into some trouble, so here I am," he said. May frowned when he said he ran into trouble.

"Sometimes being a popular coordinator attracts unwanted attention," he explained.

"Fan girls?" May asked dryly.

"Sure," Drew said. May was suspicious there was something Drew wasn't telling her. But he had already been called so many bad things today, she didn't want to stir up his anger anymore.

"We leave tomorrow morning at 8, so be ready then," Drew said.

"Okay, will do, hopefully everything has calmed down back there," May said gesturing towards the dining room.

"For your sake, I hope so too, good night May," he said as he opened the door.

"Night," she said softly and waved at him as he disappeared into the evening.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-A/N-

Yup, we got a case of severe over protective Norman. I'm probably going to do a lot of time skips for when they travel to Slateport and just do a scene from each day or something. I was a little stuck on this for awhile, but that's probably because every time I caught up reading it to continue it, I fell asleep XD but we got it, so I can now publish chapter two.

How I'm doing this is I write a chapter, then release the previous one if that makes any sense. So as of the time you are reading this, chapter 4 will be done, and chapter 5 will be in progress. I'll probably do this for awhile, unless I decide I want to try and finish it all, then have like a posting schedule or something, I don't know. But I'm happy with my system right now. I'm really excited for this fic because I like the ideas I have for it. It probably will have more chapters than Defying Fate, so there's that.

As for my Aura Guardian fic, as of right now, I'm stuck on chapter two which is why as of 8/11/19 chapter one hasn't been published yet. Honestly it's pretty trash which is why I'm stuck on it, so maybe when I'm more inspired and not lazy, I'll go back and see what I want to do with it. Sorry for another long AN.

YouDontKnowShipping