Chapter 10: It's a Pleasure to Meet You

Beginne am Anfang

I can't believe I'm minutes away from meeting the woman who kick started my passion for law. It's amazing how she's gotten so far with her bullshit policies, corruption, and lack of courage. But then again it's not surprising, it's just how the system works.

I hear the door open and in walks Senator Abner. She's dressed in a blue skirt suit set with black heels. Her dark brown hair is perfectly laid, and her makeup highlights her hazel eyes.

"Wow, she's even prettier in person", Avery whispers to me.

I roll my eyes, "She's ok I guess, if that's what you're into."

Avery giggles and straightens up before the Senator walks over to us.

"Hello, Jennifer Abner it's a pleasure to meet you", she greets all of us shaking our hands. Her hand shake is firm, and she made sure to look us all directly in the eyes for a few seconds to display dominance. To most she would be intimidating, but to me she is just a regular person.

She pulls a chair up to sit in front of us, "Welcome to the team. I'm so happy to have all of you here."

I roll my eyes. She probably doesn't know anything about us besides what Mia told her.

She catches my eye and smiles.

"We have a few interns in my other offices, but I thought we needed a few in our main location. And I couldn't be happier that I get to give back to my alma mater and enrich the lives of young scholars ."

Bull crap

"With that being said, I won't keep you all for long. We'll have plenty of chances to convene throughout the course of this internship. But before I let you go I was hoping that you would all tell me something you hope to learn while you're here", Senator Abner says opening up her notepad.

Nina asks to go first of course. She gives the politically correct answer by saying she hopes to learn how to master critical thinking, strong reasoning and analytical skills just like Senator Abner.

Jacob says he would like to learn how to properly network and build connections.

Avery goes next, and she hopes to learn how to sharpen her interpersonal skills and confidence.

Abner smiles, and writes down everyone's responses. Now it's my turn. I've thought long and hard what I want to learn during my time here.

"Ms. Taff, and what do you hope to learn?"

"I hope to learn how you sleep at night", I say with a straight face. Abner stops writing in her notepad to look up at me.

"Rachel", Mia blurts out to stop me from continuing.

I hear a gasp from Avery, and I know what she's thinking. She told me to just keep my head down and do my work while I'm here, but that goes against everything I stand for. I'm Rachel Taff, I've never taken the easy route.

Senator Abner puts her hands up, "No Mia it's ok, let her continue I don't think she was finished."

Oh she wants more. Let's do it. "Thank you", I respond."I hope to lean how you sleep at night knowing that you've negatively impacted the lives of so many...furthermore, everyone knows you're going to run for election next term. I want to know why you think you should lead this country."

The whole time we never break eye contact. You can feel the tension in the room.

"Well that's a loaded question. And you'll all get your answers by the end of the program", she says with a smile.