XXXVII

Rayleigh

My eyes squeezed tight unable to hold back a low hiss as I felt a piercing pain shoot through my body. The pain only intensified, which, thankfully helped bring me back to consciousness.

I was covered in sweat and could faintly hear what sounded like water splashing. Cautiously, I peeled my eyes open but felt confused when I was met with nothing but darkness.

I attempted to reach for my aching head but as I moved my arms, I felt the sharp burn of a rough-like texture rubbing against my wrists that were restrained above my head. I tried to move my legs, but they were also restrained. What in the hell is going on?

Though I was still groggy, and in tremendous pain, I couldn't help but feel this alarming anxiety surging through my body.

Still tired, I urged myself to try and remember how and why the hell I ended up in this predicament. What happened to me? And how did I get tied up in this dark room?

A flicker of Damien's cold dark emerald-colored orbs flashed before my heavy-lidded eyes.

"Was all this worth it, Ray?" His disappointed voice echoed intensely inside of my pounding head.

Another flash and I could hear the snapping from Damien's nose just after my fist made contact inside the dark warehouse.

I winced, "oh, God," I whispered to myself, "what have I done?"

The loud, bone-chilling sounds of the car's metal, grinding as it crushed together started to come back to me. Another flash and my body thrashed around in slow motion, watching all of the shimmering specs of light from the small pieces of glass as they rained down all around me in complete horror.

Tears quickly gathered in my eyes and flooded my cheeks almost instantly as an enormous pain in my chest overpowered all the aches my body felt moments ago.

Oh, God. No.

I left myself open to my enemies and it's all because of my stupid anger and over erratic emotions. I should have known better. Christ, I been taught better.

I flinched when a bright light flickered on above me.

"Ah, deka. You're awake," a deep thick accented voice unexpectedly spoke.

I blinked several times, trying to adjust to the light. Once I did, I looked up and spotted a very scary-looking man staring back at me like I was his dinner or something.

I glanced around the room, struggling to figure out my surroundings, hoping I might see something that could tell me where I was.

It looked like I was in some sort of small wooden cabin. I spotted one small circular window to my left and on my right nothing but a metal chair.

"We've almost arrived," he said, taking a seat in the metal chair. "Soon, we will transport you onto our main ship and bring you back to Russia."

"Russia?" I choked out in shock.

"She said I must kill you—end you all together. But, after all my investigating, and, how do you say," his lip twitched. "Surveillance, I've grown rather fond of you, Rayleigh. I think I might just keep you for myself, after all."