XII

"You ready to go back?" Damien quietly whispers near my ear while wrapping his arms around my waist, nestling in beside me drawing me closer into him

Heavily sighing, I glance out the small window of the jet and catch a glimpse of the dark blue ocean, knowing that in just a matter of minutes, we will land at Dante's private airstrip located on the outskirts of New York City.

I wasn't one bit happy to be going back even though I missed everyone tremendously. I became so used to having all this alone time with Damien in Hawaii. It won't be easy to spend time together as we did on the island.

"No, not really," I admitted, leaning back into his arms. Placing a small kiss on the side of my head, I feel him quietly chuckle.

"I know baby, I wish we could have stayed like that forever. Unfortunately, we have other people depending on us, going away for two weeks didn't help them," he prompted.

He's not lying about that. I knew of the dangers that are coming our way. My grandfather Dante taught me a lot during the months I spent living with him about some of the other families. The only thing that was shocking to me was learning about Caine's alliance with the Russians and the arrangement he made to have Damien marry into their family.

I've thought about the woman that Damien was supposed to marry and wondered what she looked like. Was she gorgeous? Was she elegant? I went as far as googling the family. Unfortunately, there was only a brief mention of his daughter. But I did find out something that Damien didn't know.

After boarding the jet, I told Damien about Demetri's recent death. He died the night of our wedding, in a village not too far from his. It was a drive-by shooting by one of his many rivals in Russia.

"Who's taking over Demetri's position now?" I suddenly ask him. He begins tracing imaginary lines on my arm, comforting me.

"I'm not sure. Cole is looking into that as we speak. Since I didn't uphold the deal Caine and Demetri made, the only other option would be giving it to his nephew he raised."

"And who is his nephew?" I asked curiously as I sit up so I could face him.

His face immediately hardens. "Alexi, and trust me, he's one twisted son of a bitch you definitely wouldn't ever wish to meet," he enlightened me with a deadly fierceness in his beautiful green eyes.

"He was always protective over Yelena. I always sensed he might even be in love with her," he added.

"But aren't they cousins?" I questioned as my lips twisted in disgust.

"I know, but it's just the way I would catch him staring at her, like, I don't know, kind of like he was longing for her. It just made me uneasy," sweeping his hand through his dark brown hair.

"That's so twisted and disgusting," I replied shaking my head, feeling an eerie shudder ascend my spine. Fuck, they're first cousins, and this Alexi guy might be secretly in love with her? How fucking twisted is that? I couldn't even try to fathom how people's minds work, especially in the dark world Damien's had to endure his entire life.