XXXIV

Damien

"Sir, I hate to disturb you, but I need to speak with you." I heard coming from the outside door of my office.

Looking up from the paperwork on my desk, I found Jacks standing by the door, waiting for me to acknowledge him.

"What is it, Jacks? I have to get these papers signed and sent over before meeting with Mrs. Lincoln down at the new building I purchased for Ray in less than an hour." I love surprising her.

Jacks quickly moved inside, closing the door behind him. My brows meshed, noticing the frown on his face. Resting back in my chair, I tossed my pen onto the desk, and let out a tired sigh. "That frown can't be good news. Christ, Jacks. Come on, out with it already." I said dryly.

"It's about Noah, Sir," he hesitated, dropping his eyes to the floor. He was avoiding eye contact with me. Shit, what the fuck is it now.

"And Ray," he mumbled out, anxiously shoving his hands into his pants pockets.

"Sit," I demanded, feeling this dreadful feeling starting to build way down deep inside the pit of my stomach.

After he became seated in the chair, he finally lifted his eyes to mine as several beads of sweat trickled their way down the side of his pale-colored face.

"You're not going to be happy with this information," he began nervously while spearing a shaky hand through his hair. "But, before I divulge, please Sir, I need you to remember not to shoot the messenger."

_____________________

Rayleigh

"Mrs. Heart?" Matthew cleared his throat as he knocked lightly on the cracked door to my room. "Your mother is here. I showed her to the study to wait for you."

I nodded with a small smile, "Thank you, Mathew. Please, let her know I will be down in just a minute."

He gave me a gentle nod, "of course, Mrs. Heart," and disappeared back down the stairs.

I grabbed my phone off the dresser and pressed Noah's name from my contact list.

Me:

My mother just arrived. Sorry, I'm going to need a few minutes before I can leave.

I sat on the edge of my bed for a few seconds and waited for his reply. My brows dipped in concern after several minutes passed with no response from him.

I tapped rapidly against the screen, hoping I haven't irked him because I was going to be a little late this evening.

Me:

Ok?

Nothing...

Me:

At least I'm sending you a courtesy text instead of leaving you hanging this time. That must earn me a few brownie points, right?

Still nothing...

Me:

Noah? Hello? Are we still on tonight?