XXIII

"Alberto," I greeted Dante's second in command as he entered the hospital room

"Damien," he briefly acknowledged and continued walking over to Dante's bedside. He placed a kiss on top of his head and asked, "How are you feeling, old man?"

Dante chuckled, "Like I've been shot in the stomach. So, where's Roman and Raffael?"

Alberto unbuttoned his suit jacket and settled into a chair next to the bed. "They should be here any minute, sir."

"Good. We have important things to discuss."

I pulled out my phone, deciding to send a text to Nick while waiting for the other two men to arrive.

Me:
Don't forget to meet me and Cole outside of that dancer's apartment building around eleven tonight. We must finish Lorenzo's problem. The sooner it's done, the better it will be for all of us.

Nick:
Yes, of course, sir. Also, Ink has informed us that he is currently on his way to the city and should arrive tonight. He's expected to meet with you first thing in the morning to go over his findings on your brother's whereabouts.

Me:
Good.

"Ah, fellas," Dante said just as two older men appeared in the room. "You two know how I hate tardiness." He grumbled. "Fuck," he winced, pulling himself up.

"Sorry, sir. We—," one of the men tried to explain, but Dante quickly held his hand up.

"Do not patronize me. Save your bullshit excuses for someone who cares to hear them, Roman. Now, sit your asses down." Dante snapped. I moved in close, propping myself against the wall, and waited for Dante to begin.

"Now, you three are all aware that Cole and Ray are my biological grandchildren. Typically, Cole would be the one who's expected to be next in line to take over since my son is no longer alive. But Cole has declined the offer and has passed it to his sister, Ray."

Raffael and Roman's confused faces glanced at Alberto. "Now, since my granddaughter has married Damien," Dante gestured to me, "she has requested that Damien stand by her and take over as the boss of the family when the time comes."

"What the fuck are you saying?" Alberto impatiently asked him.

"What I am saying is that I'm retiring. I'm officially handing my position over to my granddaughter and my new grandson."

"Now, this wasn't how I wanted to tell you guys, but I did plan to retire soon anyway. As of right now, with my health situation, I am of no use to any of you. I brought you three here out of sheer respect because I felt I should tell you first before Damien made the announcement this afternoon to the rest of the family."

"Sir, please tell me this is some sort of twisted joke?" Alberto raised to his full height, anxiously spearing his fingers through his jet-black hair. "Why the fuck would you just hand the family over to an inexperienced girl and this incompetent man child?" he turned to me and jabbed his finger in my direction.