XXII

Rayleigh

It's been a few weeks since the birth of our beautiful daughter, Angel. Unfortunately, we both had to stay a full week in that dreadful place so the Doctor could monitor our improvement.

The first week I had some trouble breastfeeding Angel. I couldn't figure out how to get her to latch properly. Thankfully, our nurse Mia was able to help. Now, I have no problems feeding her.

When we were finally able to go home, I couldn't help but feel incomplete. I'm sure it was because of my grandfather, Dante, who was still unresponsive in ICU, fighting for his life.

I clutched the strap of my purse and stood motionless in the doorway of his room, feeling completely helpless.

God, he looked so peaceful lying there, though. The doctors have told me he hasn't made much progress, but somehow I could see such vast improvements in his appearance compared to prior visits.

I missed him so much. Dante helped me fill a void in my heart that I hadn't realized that needed to be filled.

Looking back now, I can admit that my father's death had ripped an enormous hole in my heart. Looking back I believe that my mother's absence only held me back from confronting the reality that he was truly gone. That was until I met Damien.

If I had never met Damien, I would have never learned the truth behind my family's history or that I had a living grandfather eager to meet me and get to know me.

"Now, how did I know I would find you here?" Damien quietly chuckled.

I closed my eyes and hummed as he snaked his arms around my waist. Gently pulling my body closer into his, he placed a delicate kiss on my exposed shoulder and asked, "Any news on his condition?"

Inhaling, I sighed, gently shaking my head. "No. He's still the same as yesterday."

He hugged me closer, sighing heavily. "Baby, I promise you, Dante will pull through this." he draws in a long breath. "The man is too strong and too goddamn stubborn to go out like this. Trust me, he won't give up on us so easily."

Christ, Damien's completely right. If there is one thing I've learned over the past few months while getting to know my grandfather is that Dante Russo is a force to be reckoned with. Shit, he must pull through. I can't even begin to imagine what I would do if he doesn't.

"Have you figured out how those men were able to get through our security at the restaurant?" I asked, now facing him.

He pressed his lips together and barely shook his head. "Not yet. Don't worry, baby. I have Jacks and DJ searching through the data on the laptop we retrieved from the restaurant."

Closing my eyes, I rested my head against his chest. "Damien, " I barely breathed. I was hesitant to tell him what I wanted to do. He's so protective of me, I'm a little scared of how he will react.

"What is it, baby?"

I licked my dry lips. "Now that I'm no longer pregnant, I feel it would be best if I were better trained."

His body stiffened. "I'm sorry, trained?"

I lifted my head from off of his chest and faced him. "I have to learn to be able to protect myself better, Damien. Let's not dance around the truth here. We both know those masked men weren't aiming to kill Dante that night." I gripped his shirt, tears blurring my vision. "Damn it, Damien." I cried out. "If Dante hadn't thrown himself in front of me when he had," I broke off, body shuddering of thoughts of what had almost transpired that horrific night.

He glared at me, locking his jaw. "No," he shook his head. "I will not have the mother of my child fighting grown-ass men, readying herself to be a cold-blooded killer."