II

"Don't swim too far out from the beach, baby!" I hear my mother calling out at me over the waves violently crashing against the big rocks by the small cove located not too far from the beach house that we had just purchased

"I won't!" I yell back at her. She begins slowly walking into the ocean towards me, nervously, but I turn back around and continued to swim out a little further. I've been so damn determined to make it out past that last big rock since yesterday.

"DAMIEN!" she shouts out. "Don't you dare go any further—DO YOU HEAR ME!?" she quickly yells, her voice rising to a more serious tone."Hell, I think the tide is coming in," she adds a bit softer and nervously. I could hear the urgency in her tone.

I let out a small growl as I stop and turn back around, aggravated, and then notice that she's beginning to swim out in my direction. Ugh geez, "Mom, for Christ's sake, " I grumble out at her.

Deciding not to press my luck, I began swimming back towards the shore, not wanting to upset her any further. A few moments later, I finally meet up with her, chuckling as she pulls me into her body with a death grip hug.

"Damn it, Damien," she scolds as she pulls back, her hands cupping my face as she looks at me. "I was so scared. You can't be scarin' your poor momma like that." She continues to scold. "You're my life. I live and breathe only for you." She states as her eyes well up. I nod in understanding and give her a reassuring smile. She let out a small breath of relief before placing a soft kiss on my forehead.

"I'm sorry mom, I didn't mean to make you worry." I apologized and her lip slightly lifts to a small smirk. "Really?" She questions. "You continuing to swim out further after being told not to go out too far is you not meaning to cause me any worry?" She asked rhetorically as she raises a brow playfully.

My lips lift to a sheepish smile as I shrug my shoulders. "I stopped and came back, didn't I?" She lets out a chuckle as she shakes her head. "Come on dare-devil, Aunt Rosa is expecting us for dinner at her new restaurant. God, the hell we would catch if we were late," she comments as she feigns nervousness. I laugh, envisioning one of Aunt Rosa's "overly dramatic meltdowns".