XIII

Taking a seat in the worn-out black leather chair, I lean back and look at the dusty ceiling above

Taking a seat in the worn-out black leather chair, I lean back and look at the dusty ceiling above. The older room smelled peculiar, kind of like what decades of old newspapers would smell like.

I chose to use Dante's restaurant office temporarily for space to conduct business with my most trusted until Ray and I find our own home. Dante was kind enough to offer me a room to use at his estate but I'd rather not get too comfortable there. I want to create a home of my own with my wife and daughter. 

I arranged an appointment with a realtor named Peggy Ramos this week. I'm hoping to surprise Ray by purchasing a sizable piece of land that I had found during my search of land for sale near New York while we were in Hawaii. It's located barely twenty minutes from the city limits. 

Suddenly there's a quick knock on the door, I check my wristwatch and notice the welcome home party that Dante and Kathleen have arranged for us is just about due to start. "Come in," I announce at whoever it is behind the closed door. 

Nick opens the door, looking at me with a small smile. He walks in and closes the door behind him and I notice that he's still wearing the sling the doctor basically forced him to wear two weeks ago. If I'm not mistaken, he's still got four weeks left before it's properly healed. 

I need him at his best and doing what the doctor orders will have him operating at his best as quickly as possible. Especially when it comes to him and his carelessness.

"If I'm not mistaken boss, you look like you've been properly fucked," He smirks, slipping his good hand into his pocket. 

My lips slightly twitch as I raise a brow. "Oh, do I? Do tell, what does a properly fucked person look like?" 

"Well, for starters, you're wearing that longing look that screams you're missing her even though it's only been a couple of hours since you last saw her. And, I must say that your shoulders do seem to be more relaxed than they had been before you guys left," He shrugged with a matter-of-fact expression on his smug face.

"I'm sure it's due to that stick up your ass being pulled out. I'll have to thank Ray later for that one," He chuckles.

I couldn't help it, that last one made me chuckle. "If you're trying to ask me if I had a good time? Yes, Nick, I did—very much actually. I may not have been fully relaxed, but it was really good to see her finally be able to." 

He nods at me, agreeing. "So, uh Cole got us some more information about Demetri's death," He begins to tell me as he takes a seat in the chair across from me.

"Good," I sigh, slipping a pack of cigarettes out of my pocket. "Did he find out who took over?" I questioned, lighting one up and taking a deep and long drag. 

He stares at me for just a few seconds, but the expression on his face told me who before he even said the name. "Yes. It's Alexi."

I let out a heavy breath closing my eyes tight. "Fuck—Fuck! This will not end well, Nick. You know it as well as I do. With that crazy motherfucker having complete control of that family, I expect nothing but full bloodshed," I grumble.