XIV

"Guess who I just spotted?"  Kaye murmurs by my ear as she sits down beside me

"Guess who I just spotted?"  Kaye murmurs by my ear as she sits down beside me. I set my glass of water onto the table and began surveying the dining room. 

"Who?" I asked intrigued, noticing her looking across the room. I follow her gaze, attempting to see who it is she's looking at.

"Your mom." I immediately located her. My mother stands breathtakingly beautiful, with her wine glass in hand, smiling, engrossed in conversation with Lorenzo Esposito and a few other people.

"Why is she here? I mean, I hadn't expected her to show up tonight." I pondered aloud. My eyes fall to the motion of Lorenzo's hand barely grazing the small of her back, and I saw a very subtle blush brighten across her ivory skin.

"Wait," I barely get out. "Are her and Lorenzo..." I cut my question short, unsure if I'm jumping to conclusions. I'm confused, what happened to her colleague? Wasn't she seeing him?

"Wasn't she seeing that guy she works with? Simon?" I ask her. 

She snickers, taking a sip of her wine. "Looks to me she's got eyes for someone else. Honestly, she and Lorenzo look way hotter as a couple."

I softly laugh, studying the two. "Simon looked like he was gonna faint when he saw Dante that day they showed up at his estate. I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing." 

"Well, imagine if he saw her talking to Lorenzo. He'd probably shit himself before fainting." Kaye teased. 

Shit, I'm not sure if the two of them are such a good idea. Lorenzo is a powerful, deadly man. He runs Italy. The more powerful you are, the more envious others become. His brother is a prime example. Does she know what she's getting herself into? Does she know who he even is?

I leave Kaye at the table and walk over to them. I clear my throat to grab their attention, "Mom," I softly smile. 

"Oh sweetheart, look at you. You're stunning, glowing even," she praises as she wrapped her arms around me, "married life suits you." 

"Rayleigh, you look bellissima." Lorenzo compliments, standing beside her in his expensive Armani suit. He's a gorgeous older man and it's obvious he knows the effect he has on women. Those honey brown eyes and thick lashes would make any woman swoon. The way he can dominate a room is alluring. 

"Thank you," I smile at him. "Mom, can I speak with you in private for a moment?" 

She nods her head and leans into him, whispering something in his ear. His lip twitched and he gave her a small nod.