XXI

"Pull in here," I motioned toward the vacant property positioned right across from Dante's Restaurant

Dropping to second gear, Nick eased in, killing the SUV's headlights, and parks right behind an abandoned building.

"So, what's the plan?" DJ asked from the back seat.

Lighting a blunt, I looked out the passenger side window and examined the condition of the run-down building.

Several of the broken bricks from the disintegrated structure laid scattered on the overgrown grass. The inside looked like it had been completely gutted, including the windows and doors. Thick, overgrown vegetation from outside had already progressed and taken over the entire formation.

I jerked my head towards the far end of the building, where a group of teenagers spray-painted graffiti alongside the faded bricks. "We need a distraction to be able to slip past the cops, right?"

Nick pinched the blunt from my fingers and asked, "What do you mean by distraction?"

"We'll have them keep the cops busy, so we can slip in undetected and retrieve the video surveillance." I pulled out my phone and loaded a picture of the restaurant's layout.

"Back when Ray left, I remembered that Dante showed me some hidden cameras that he installed on the outside and inside of the restaurant that no one knew of aside from myself and his men."

Cole breathed out a ribbon of smoke and grins with glassy, bloodshot eyes. "It does sound like a good plan, but those punks don't look like they would be willing to risk their freedom."

Nick scoffed. "You have no idea what the right amount of money could bring a person to do. Well, that and intimidation." Nick mused.

I rolled the window down and smoke from inside the SUV respired out into the dark early morning sky. One of the boys turned his head in our direction and let the spray can he was holding drop to the ground once he realized he and his buddies weren't alone anymore.

The frightened boy smacked one of his friends on the back. "What, Eddie?" his friend grumbled. The boy pointed at us and mumbled something that I wasn't able to hear.

Nick leaned out the window, flashing them a stack of money. "Hey guys, how would you like to earn a little bit of cash?"

"Sorry shithead, but we're not gay," the skinny, tall one laughed.

Nick's features hardened. "What the fuck did he just say to me?" DJ and Cole both started snickering from the back seat. Nick looked back at them and ground his teeth.

"Stupid mother fuckers," one of them cursed. "They can suck my dick." The fat one mumbled, making the others laugh.

Nick snatched his .38 from his holster, swearing under his breath as he jumped out of the vehicle, and aimed his gun right at the boys.