XI

Our drive to dinner was unusually quiet

Our drive to dinner was unusually quiet. Ray seemed to be lost in her thoughts. I chose to give her my mother's locket tonight. I originally wanted to give it to her on our wedding day, but something compelled me to wait. After my discussion with Ray about my mother earlier this afternoon, I knew that tonight would be the perfect time to finally give it to her.

The restaurant that I selected for our last dinner was owned by my aunt Rosa and her husband Jerry. Tonight will be the first time Ray and my aunt Rosa will be meeting, as well as the first time seeing my Aunt since I visited with my mom back when I was seventeen years old.

I've been reluctant to introduce them because I felt that Ray needed to learn more about my mother. But the more time passed during our stay here in Hawaii, the harder it got to find the right opportunity to bring anything up that is painful to speak about. I didn't want to ruin the amazing and easy-going atmosphere that we've experienced since we arrived. When I found Ray in my old room, it gave me the perfect opportunity to bring it everything up.

As we pulled onto the street where my aunt's restaurant was located, I lift Ray's hand to my lips and place a soft kiss against her knuckles, hoping to grab her attention.

"I have someone special I want you to meet, baby." I begin as the limo comes to a stop in front of the restaurant. Her brows bunched together slightly as she waits for me to continue.

"It will be easier to explain once we get inside," I told her just as the driver opens the limo door for us.

Stepping out, I look up at the restaurant. Reading the name 'The Nest', so many memories begin to flash through my mind, times of me and my mother having lunches and dinners together with Aunt Rosa.

Those were the times she was happiest. After everything I've learned recently, I knew it was because Caine had rarely come with us on those trips. I just wished I would have known more all these years, knew why my mother stayed with that bastard, and how I have a younger brother somewhere out there.

I hold my arm out for Ray to take while she continues to observe the building. She smiles up at me as she takes my arm and I usher her inside. The bell attached to the door chimes, something that they've used since I could remember to let them know someone has come in.

My aunt's husband Jerry glances around the corner, smiling happily when he realizes it's me. I called him earlier when I was out getting Ray her treat.

I informed him that I wanted to bring Ray down to meet them, but I needed it to be a surprise for both Ray and Aunt Rosa as well. He was happy to help me arrange it.

He quickly walks over and without hesitation pulls me in for a firm, welcoming embrace. I've always loved and respected Jerry. He has always been good to my aunt and me and my mother.

"God, it's been a long time Damien. Shit," he curses and starts chuckling as he pulls away to look over my appearance. "You've grown up on us, " he noted while adjusting his glasses on his nose.