XXXVI

Damien

I was completely frozen. My feet felt cemented to the ground while I stood helplessly in shock, watching her car engulfed in massive blazing flames.

Standing behind the caution tape set up by the police, I felt like I was in some fucked up nightmare. I was surrounded by utter chaos. Struggling to register everything that was happening around me, only hearing the bone-chilling sirens blaring from several different emergency vehicles.

The frantic voices around me sounded muffled and distorted. I clutched at my chest, experiencing the immense, painful feeling of something heavy pressing so hard it felt it might break through and crush my heart.

"Boss," Nick spoke, taking cautious steps closer to me. He grasped a firm hand on my shoulder.

"No," my head shook frantically. "It's not her, God damn it. I haven't lost her, Nick" I forced out through clenched teeth. "I don't accept it. I will not fucking lose her!" I shouted, brushing his hand off my shoulder.

I ground my teeth and forced my feet to move. I yanked past the yellow caution tape and stormed straight for the burning car.

"Hey!"  someone shouted from behind me. "Hey, you! Get your ass back behind the tape!" An overweight police officer shouted and grabbed my arm, attempting to try and stop me.

An enormous rage burned through my veins. Twisting around, I quickly jerked my arm from his hold and snatched him by the throat.

"That's my wife's car, you stupid son of a bitch!" I spat in his face causing his eyes to protrude.

The overweight man began to grasp his shaking hands around mine, attempting to free himself. I squeezed harder

"I will choke the life right out of you, you disgusting piece of shit!" I growled.

Several sets of hands began to pull at my chest and arms trying to pull me away from him.

"Damn it. Let him go, boss."

Both Nick and Cole finally ripped my hand from his throat and shoved me back.

"Come on, boss," Cole urged, "The Lieutenant is waiting at the station to speak with you."

Taking in deep breaths, I nodded my head and looked back at the frightened man. I stepped back over to him and shoved the bastard, getting right in his face.

"If you ever, and I mean ever, put your disgusting hands on me again, I'll saw your fucking hands off and shove them right up your big fat ass," I snarled.

_____________________
Over an hour later

After finally arriving at the police station, I was sent to an interrogation room.

I glanced up at the clock for what felt like the millionth time and blew out a long breath, growing more and more impatient having been sitting in this fucking room for an hour now.

I groaned in aggravation. Where the fuck is this Lieutenant? I need fucking answers. Now.

"Mr. Heart," a gruff voice called out just as the door opened. "I'm sorry to have kept you waiting this long. I was waiting for the fire chief's official statement first."