XIX

"Damn it, Cole

"Damn it, Cole. Don't you think you could put your anger and resentment for me aside for now? You know, hate me and yell at me all you like when we're not sitting in your sister's hospital room?" I suddenly heard.

"Please, let your animosity for me wait until we've at least left her room for Christ's sake, Cole." Mom?

"She doesn't need to wake up to our bickering." I hear her sigh followed by the sound of a chair being scraped across the floor.

"You may have won over Ray, dearest mother, but I'm not falling for your bullshit" Is that Cole?

Well, I did have this feeling that he was still angry with her. But, it's not my place to get in the middle of it. Those two are going to have to work through their issues without anyone's help, especially since I've decided to forgive her and work on our relationship. I know how my brother thinks and he would probably assume I was choosing sides and flip out like a drama queen, so yeah, no thanks.

"I mean, " I heard him scoff, "it is only a matter of time before you tuck tail and run when real heavy shit happens and gets to be too much for you, just like you always do."

I try to move as I open my eyes, but I'm blinded by a bright and piercing light which causes me to quickly shut them back. I try to move again but felt a sharp pain in my stomach. I groaned and immediately clutched my throat.

"Shit, " I croaked out. God, it felt like someone was holding an open flame against the inside of my throat. "My throat, " I whisper as I try to gradually open my eyes again.

My head still in a fog-like state, I try and sift through it, in hopes of remembering where the hell I even am, but I can't. Shit.

"Sweetheart, " I hear my mother's voice as she grabs my hand. "Oh, honey—Cole, grab her a cup of water," she tells my brother and places her head against mine. "God, I'm so relieved that you are finally awake," she whispered and I felt something wet drip onto my cheek.

As my vision finally starts to clear, I noticed the tears on her red and puffy cheeks when she pulls away. She sniffles while she looks at me giving me a warm smile. Why is she crying?

I glanced past her and my brows pull together as I realize I'm in a hospital room. Why the hell am I in a hospital?

When I see the IV attached to my hand, my heart rate accelerates, and my breaths quicken as my mind starts to race. Damn it, why am I struggling to remember. What the hell happened to me!?

My hand automatically reached for my stomach but froze when I don't feel anything. Panicked, I look down and complete fear consumes me—so deep that I could feel it in my soul.

I suck in a loud gasp and looked to my mother for her help. Help tell me what the fuck is going on?

With tears already clouding my vision I yell at her, "Mom, where's my baby girl!?" I try to move, but she pushes me back, holding my arms down to keep me from getting up.