The Next Book in The Series: Buried Desires Chapter 1.

Sophia

The trilling sound of the brakes squeaking from the taxi broke me out of my momentary trance. I looked out the window and realized I had finally reached my apartment complex.

I grabbed my purse beside me and searched for my wallet, slipping out a fifty-dollar bill. After handing it to the driver, I quickly thanked the young man and told him to keep the change.

Sliding out from the back seat, I stood on the paved asphalt, inhaling an exhausted breath, and nearly sprinted inside of my building. I was so ready for this night to be over with already.

Slamming my apartment door shut behind me, I sighed with relief as I kicked off my favorite pair of stilettos and headed straight for the kitchen, in need of a glass of my favorite bottle of red wine.

"The fucking jerk," I mumbled to myself while I poured myself a hefty portion.

The guy had no morals or any respect for my opinions or feelings at all.

Falling onto my soft leather couch, I closed my eyes tightly, and almost instantly saw his face flash behind them.

The only man who could get my blood pumping—Brad Robertson, an old friend from college.

God, I had the biggest crush on him back then. I frowned as regret swirled inside my head.

Back then I was too shy and insecure to try anything. Plus, the man was too busy with girls on campus to notice me even if I had wanted to try anything.

After graduation, Brad moved to New York City to work for his father and help run the family business. As for me, I decided to stay here, in little ol' Alabama, and try to find work in journalism.

I planned to become a journalist, but after a year with no luck finding a steady job in that field, I got a job as a waitress at a cafe to help pay for bills. But one night I waited on a beautiful black-haired woman who befriended me instantly and we quickly became best friends.

Melissa worked at the small town's strip club, The South Pole. Not too long after we became best friends, she had convinced me to come work with her and astonishing as it was, I've been there as "Candy" ever since.

Hearing my phone ring, I laughed to myself, knowing it had to be Melissa.

I pressed accept and said, "You're too late, babe. I'm already home and just about to grab my second glass of wine."

She immediately laughed.

"I love how my nonexistent love life is so amusing to you,"

"What the hell happened with this one?" She asked.

"The same thing that always happens. They have no couth, Lissa. Can you believe the asshole brought me to fucking Burger King and then had the balls to ask the poor cashier for her number right in front of me?"

"Oh my god!" She replied before bursting out laughing.

"I'm done! Officially done. I am throwing in the fucking towel! There just isn't a man out there for me. They're either all dead or married." I grumbled as she continued to laugh.