XVIII

"SIR!" the woman behind the front desk calls after me as I stormed past her

"SIR!" the woman behind the front desk calls after me as I stormed past her. I ignored the arrogant bitch and turned the corner, spotting a black sign that read "Maternity Unit" above wooden double doors.

My anxiety and concern for Ray and our daughter are weighing heavily on my heart. I've no idea what the fuck is happening. I've tried calling Leslie's phone the entire drive over but it goes straight to voicemail. No matter what's happened in the last twenty-four hours, I have to be here with them.

"SIR!" she continues to yell once I finally reached the doors. I yank the handles and realized that they were locked. Spotting the key card lock I turn around to the apprehensive woman.

"SECURITY!" she shrieks in a panic, as I glare murderously at her, the fucking shrill in her voice only upsetting me more.

"Open the fucking door," I growl at her as my heart thrashed against my rib cage.

"I told you at the front desk, sir, you will need to speak with the doctor." she huffed.

The audacity of this fucking bitch. I take a threatening step towards her but DJ grips my arm. "Sir, don't," he warns softly. "There are too many eyes in the sky," he motions his head to the camera above us. "plus, it will only prolong you getting back there to see her." he continued.

"I give no fucks about those fucking cameras! That's my goddamn wife and my baby girl in there, " I shout glaring at the woman as I tossed my thumb towards the locked doors. "I have to see her. I need to know what the fuck's happening."

With DJ's hand still locked on my arm, we suddenly hear an alarm sounding from the speakers at the front desk followed by a woman's voice. "Attention, Code thirty-three, Dr. Walsh, you are needed in room twenty-seven. I repeat, code thirty-three, Dr. Walsh, you are needed in room twenty-seven."

Seeing the small change in the nurse's facial reaction as she stares at me somehow tells me that the alarm was from Ray's room. Before I was able to lash out at her, Ray's mother burst through the double doors.

"Thank god," she sighs hugging me once she reached me. "I had been trying to call you for hours. After my phone eventually died, I went and searched the hospital until I found DJ."

"Is she ok?" I asked while she pulls me past the double doors, quickly guiding me down the hallway.

"Everything was fine up until the baby's monitor alarm just went off." She sighs as we come to a stop in front of a door. I look over and my heart sank noticing that the room's number was in fact, twenty-seven.

"The nurses inside kicked me out, told me to wait out in the lobby for the doctor to retrieve me, but I can't leave my baby all alone like that." she whimpers as several tears slowly slide down her cheeks.

"What the hell happened?" I asked her as I stare inside the small window on the door, unfortunately, I'm unable to see anything except for the room's grey and blue checkered curtain that's been drawn closed.