XXXV

Damien

If I cared to look back, I could probably recall every lesson I had with Caine Heart. Way back to the very first day after my thirteenth birthday, all the way to my last, after I idiotically agreed to marry Demitri's bitch of a daughter, Yelena, a demand from the bastard himself in hopes of sealing the two families together.

Despite our many issues, I did come to learn a lot about the man in the very beginning, way before he succumbed to his disgusting drug addiction. Even though I knew what a cold-hearted son of bitch he was, and rightfully deserving of the .45 caliber bullet I'd so happily lodged into his skull, he helped educate me on how to become a feared and respected boss. Maybe in the beginning there had been a method to all of his fucked-up madness after all.

Consumed by dark thoughts from my past, I was currently en route to Noah's apartment with my two most trusted, Nick and Cole, after discovering the shocking yet alarming news about him and my wife.

Jacks stopped by the house earlier this morning and nervously disclosed everything he learned during the discreet surveillance on Noah I requested from him a couple of weeks ago.

I was growing suspicious of Noah. He hasn't been himself recently. He's constantly MIA during Family obligations and that's a huge red flag for me.

But, after being told that he was also showing up late to some of the drops to pick up payment for the cocaine shipment, in addition to missing some very important meetings with the Family, I could feel it in my gut that something wasn't right. So, I asked Jacks to follow him, I needed him to document everything.

Noah knew how he was being considered for the next Captain position. So, he had to know his recent behavior recently would raise suspicions for him. He was far too smart not to.

I've always recognized the talent he could one day bring to our table. He's always been a fucking mathematical genius. He also knew the right people and intel to make the money we earned illegally look legitimate under the microscope. Ultimately for us, it would help keep those bitch-ass feds at bay.

"Damn man." Cole sighs. "What the fuck was he thinking?" He mumbled from the back seat of the SUV, watching the video surveillance Jacks gave me this morning.

I ground my teeth and tried to suppress my anger as it sizzled hot inside of my veins. Of all the men employed by me, I would have never expected this level of betrayal from Noah.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Nick's fingers grip the wheel. "Are you sure Damien?" He gritted out through clenched teeth.

"Video doesn't lie, Nick" I retorted dryly.

"Fuck!" he suddenly roared, "fucking stupid son of a bitch," he slammed his fist into the dashboard

Noah is Nick's blood family. His baby cousin to be exact. Yes, even though I felt hurt, angry, and deeply betrayed by Noah right now, I knew Nick felt Noah's betrayal more than I did.

Tossing the video camera on the backseat beside him, Cole lit a cigarette and asked, "what are you planning on doing when we get there?"

To be honest, I haven't made up my mind yet. Even though I knew why he betrayed me, the fact that it came from someone from my family was what made it feel so much worse for me.