XXV

I peered into the small window of Dante's hospital room and saw my grandmother shuffling around the room with one of the many bouquets that decorated his room

I inhaled a small breath and walked in. Dante's lips pulled to a bright smile.

"Little dove," he breathed.

I softly laughed. "Pop's." I shook my head at him as he chuckled at the nickname, I'd given him.

My grandmother kissed my cheek, "Where's Angel?" she asked.

"Kaye's at home with her. I'd rather not bring her to the hospital and risk her getting sick," I explained. 

"Ah, smart thinking," she smiled. 

"So, why did you text me to meet you here?" I asked while I sat down in the chair beside Dante's bed.

I watched as my grandmother walked over to Dante and grabbed his hand. He placed a small kiss on top of it and smiled up at her.

"Well, your grandfather has asked me to marry him," she said, her eyes never leaving his. "I asked you here today to be my witness when the officiant comes." 

My brows raised. "Oh," I stumbled out, completely surprised. "Well yes, of course, I will." I quickly stood and kissed my grandmother's cheek.

I smirked, leaning down, and placed a soft kiss on Dante's bearded cheek, "You devil you, why didn't you guys tell me sooner?" I crossed my arms over my chest and pursed my lips playfully.

"He just asked me last night," my grandmother giggled with excitement.

My heart melted as I watched the two of them, though I was surprised when she told me they were getting married, I have always known that they were still in love with each other.

I mean, my grandmother, who's now sixty years old, has been in love with Dante Russo since she was eighteen years old. Christ, that's forty-two years! Now that's what I call true love. 

"The officiant, Mr. Hatchett, should be here this afternoon. Your brother will also be here to be your grandfather's witness," she explained, going back to arranging the flowers by the window.

"Well, I guess I'll need to go get dressed for this beautiful occasion."