twenty-eight

"It is absolutely terrifying the kind of deep suffering the happiest looking people are able to hide inside themselves"

~*~

The smell of the ocean filled your nose as you inhaled fresh air. Your little feet stumbled against the muddy sand and you planted yourself flat onto the shore.

"Hello, baby, what you got there?"

The man sat next to you and smiled. You fiddled with the shell in your hand and lifted it up.

"Look daddy, its a pwetty shell" you gave your father a toothy grin and handed him the shell.

"Wah, its so pretty just like you" the man chuckled as he squished your chubby cheek. You giggled and squealed as he tickled your sides and brought you closer to him.

Your father and you both sat silently, the ocean waves bashing onto the shore and seizing back  each time. A breeze tousled your hair, making the hair on your arm stand. The golden hues of the sun began to set, your eyes shimmered staring at the golden ball, your curious little mind could not understand where the sun went once it has set. Turning towards your father you nudged his arm, he turned and looked down at your tiny form.

"Daddy does the sun sleep in the ocean?" You asked innocently, blinking up at your father, who chuckled. "No sweety, the sun does not sleep in the ocean"

"Then, where does it go?"

"You see the sky has start to darken?" You nod, "Well, it is asleep but not in the ocean, but in the sky. That is why when its night the moon comes out to let the sun rest" your father stated in a low calming tone. Your eyes widened in amazement and your father could not help but coo at your adorable face.

"Here, dad" you placed the shell into your fathers hand. Your father tilted his head as he stared at the shell you gave him.

"What is this for?"

"I want you to keep it. If dad is sad I want daddy to be happy by looking at the shell." You spoke, smiling hugely up at your father.

"I don't need this shell though, sweetheart"

"Why not?" you pouted.

"You and your mom is all I need to be happy" he said, kissing the top of your head and pulling you into his arms.

Those were the words you always repeated in your head. That your father was your sole purpose in always being the good girl you could be.

Your father was the person you could always turn to, the person that made you feel wanted and loved. If your father could not console you, you turned to your mother who always welcomed you with open arms.

Your love for your family was worth more than anything in this beautiful cruel world. You lived a happy childhood and once your sister was born, your love for your family grew stronger.

But as the time with your family  lasted long it could not, however, last forever.

__