Chapter 41

Virgil's POV
There was a knock at the door. Just a single knock. A knock I hadn't heard in so long I had almost forgotten the sound of it. I sound I so desperately wanted to never hear again. But here I am.
Deceit.
"Remus lives here, privacy is nonexistent, just come in." I answered.
I watch the door knob turn as the door opened, narrowing my eyes at it.
"Is he safe?" I asked, that's all that mattered to me. If he was safe then maybe I could get through this... but for how long?
Deceit took a deep breath, usually a sign he was going to put some self control into his words and actually tell the truth.
"From everyone but himself."
I didn't make eye contact with him as he moved, staring at the door he entered through.
"Why did you care so much about him?" He asked.
"Do. It's why do I care so much about him." Was all I said.
Deceit sighed, leaving.
I didn't move, zoning out, imaging all of those nights, trying to find peace in the memories.
It felt like forever went by, alone, in the dark, thinking, remembering.
Remembering the nights, the talks, the music, the smiles, the pranks.
Remembering him.
It was dark out, I should be sleeping, or escaping, or even moving the slightest bit.
I should be with him...
There's a lot of things I should be doing right now. But I just couldn't seem to bring myself to do any of it.
I just want to go back to Lo-
One soft knock.
One hard knock.
One soft knock.
Logan?
I swung the door open, holding it so it didn't slam.
It was him...
"What the fuck are you doing here?" I whispered.
"Do you honestly think I could live with the fact you're stuck here?" He answered, matching my volume.
I opened the door wider, letting him in.
"And do you think I could have lived with the fact that you'd be stuck here?" I retorted.
"I could have handle it!"
"I have handled it!"
"And that's why I didn't want you to go through that again!"
We stopped, staring at each other. God I cannot be mad at him.
He took a deep breath, "How do I get you out of this?"
"You can't. The fact that you're even able to be here is a miracle. A deal with Deceit isn't that easily broken."
He scoffed, "It's never easy."
"Life's a game meant to be played at the highest possible difficulty." Came a voice, one I've heard often, but this time it was off, sad, quiet. Since when was Remus quiet?
"Remus?" I spun around facing him, expecting Deceit beside him.
He was alone.
"Is it really that bad for you?" He asked "Being here?"
I didn't respond. What the fuck am I suppose to say to that? The truth? That I hated it hear, I hated everything about the hellscape?
Remus took my silence as an answer, leaving, probably heading back to his room, hopefully not heading to tell Deceit.
Logan looked at me, eyebrow raised, probably wondering what just happened.
"One sec." I said, following Remus out of the door, the door to his room was open.
"...Remus?" I peaked through the doorway.
He looked up.
"Goodbye."
He nodded.
I started to turn around.
"...Virgil?"
I turned back to face him.
"Are you... happy there?"
I paused.
"Yes."