Chapter 36

Virgil's POV
I took in a shaky breath, closing my eyes to concentrate. At least I've dealt with these two before... but Logan, well I could only assume he was going through something similar, if not worse. He was alone...
I am alone.
I tried to focus my hearing, I used to do this to "get past the illusion".
Tap.
Footsteps.
Tap.
Left or right?
Tap.
Left.
I swung my fist towards the sound.
A cackle filled the air, my fist was caught.
The void cleared enough to see Deceit again.
"Your reflexes have slowed." He acknowledged, dropping my hand.
I kicked him in the shins, this time it landed. He winced, almost losing his balance. The smoke started to surround him again, I could tell he was moving. I tried to concentrate again, but his sounds of movement were more warped now, Remus was muffling them.
"You know you'll always be one of us Virgil. You can't escape the past." His voice echoed, I couldn't make out the source, "And Logan's alone right now. You left him all alone."
I didn't leave him!
"Both if you are weak. As soon as Logan let emotions get the best of him... well, let's just say you practically ruined him."
I- what?
"I mean honestly, you know he wasn't supposed to have emotions. That was a mistake, and by extension so is your relationship."
Shut him out. Just don't listen.
"And the worst part is that you don't care. You don't even care that you're ruining him. You're just happy you aren't alone anymore."
Lies can't effect you if you don't listen. Just shut him out.
"But you are alone Virgil, you always have been. You'll never fit in no matter where you go. You're the biggest fuck up here."
"I take pride in being the biggest fuck up here."
I remember, we joked, he smiled, a real smile. I doubt I've laughed that hard before, and it wasn't even that funny.
I took a deep breath, smiling.
Deceit ignored me, continuing, "And by continuing your 'relationship' you broke him."
My fists clenched.
Tune him out. Lies don't matter if you don't hear them. Speak over him! Scream if you have to!
"FALSEHOOD!"