Chapter 13

~*~

~*~

I am the Avatar.

Saying that in my mind makes me feel insane. I might not know the real meaning of it, but I pretty much get the idea.

Could you imagine? Out of all people, the only one who can control all of the four elements turns out to be you. If you're the only one with that ability, you must have a very crucial role.

My eyes fluttered open and was greeted by the harsh light. They naturally landed on someone who was sitting next to my bed, staring at me. I tried to say something, but I couldn't seem to do it.

"Oh thank the gods!" Victor cried out. "I thought you would never wake up."

How many times have I passed out this week? I'm really getting tired of this.

"Y—you—l—lied." I said, while sounding like something was blocking my voice box.

I scanned the room without moving my head and found nobody.

"What are you talking about, dear?" He asked, like he had no idea what I was talking about.

"I'm th—the Avatar... aren't I?" I whispered.

I caught his eyes widened slightly, and his eyes were shaking.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I said shakily. "What does that mean? Is it a bad thing? That's why you didn't want to tell me?"

"I only did it to protect you." He whispered back like he was sorry.

"From the truth?" I whispered.

"No—"

"Why is it so hard to tell me that I'm the Avatar?"

"Stop saying that word—"

"Why?? Tell me, Victor." I felt a tear running down to the other side of my face. "I'm tired."

"You don't know how hard it is for me too." He gritted his teeth.

"I'm so tired— I'm tired of not knowing who myself is. I have all of these powers and I can't control them. I don't know what it is." My voice faltered. "Or what am I or who am I??"

For once in my life I thought I have found out who I really am, and where I came from, but the truth is... I still know nothing.

"I promise I did it to protect you. The more you know, the more danger you are exposed to."

"You don't know what it's like, Victor." I said quietly. "You don't know what it's like to feel like you don't know yourself, it's like I'm living in someone else's body."

"I'm so sorry. I can't afford to lose anyone again. You're the only family I have left." Victor said. "I know that is selfish of me but I don't care, I will do anything to protect you."