Chapter 03

~*~

I couldn't scream. I didn't have any sort of defense for myself too. Never did I think I would say this, but I wish my power was working.

I found Mai laying on the ground and was fighting off an infected on top of her. I quickly ran to her aid and kicked the undead off of her. She got up and let out her silenced pistol then shot the infected.

I waited... and waited for her to stop shooting it. Bullets after bullets, I thought they were the last ones she was going to shoot, but I had a feeling she wasn't stopping.

"Mai!" I called her, trying to stop her. "Let's go."

Mai looked distraught but she followed me eventually.

We found the guys and we continued to fend ourselves from the infected. We put down as much infected as we could but Hendery was doing most of the job.

"We can't keep doing this. More of them are just gonna come!" Hendery said as he sliced the head of an infected with his swift firebending.

No one responded to him as we didn't really know what to do next. We were trapped, circled by tons of infected trying to have a taste of our flesh.

"There's an old house over there!" Jaemin shouted and I followed where he was pointing.

"Let's go!" Hendery said.

We ran through the herd of infected as Hendery opened the way for us. He kept bursting his hot, orange fire stream to clear the path.

We eventually got to the cottage and I slammed myself against the door to open it. After we got in, the guys locked the door with a giant log of wood.

The boys sat on the ground trying to catch their breaths. I sat next to Jaemin and patted the back of his head. He leaned to my chest and I wrapped my arms around him tightly. "You did great. You're so brave. I'm proud of you." I faintly whispered.

Renjun came and joined the hug. I closed my eyes, because for a moment I thought I was too late and I would never see them again. I buried my face on their heads.

"This will never hold," Mai said as she nudged the shaking door. It kept banging and it seemed like it would break any minute from now.

Jaemin slowly broke free from the hug to look at the door, so did Renjun. "So what do we do now?" Renjun asked.

He was scared. I wanted to hug him again and tell him that everything was going to be alright, but I couldn't. That would be a lie. Because I don't know myself if we were ever gonna... make it.

I shifted my gaze to look over at Hendery, and for a second I thought I caught him watching me, but he quickly turned away.

"What do you think we should do?" I asked and he went back to look at me.