Chapter 14

A/N: You can play the song that I attached (maybe in low volume) while you read :)

~*~

"If you let me, I can try something out." Taeyong said.

I stared at him blankly. "What do you mean?"

"It's best if I show you." He said and was about to take my hand.

I quickly took my hand away from him.

"I'm sorry." He said.

"The last time I trusted someone I ended up in the restraining chamber." I mumbled.

He stayed silent for a few second. "I care not about other people's affairs. I don't intend to get involved in anyone's business." He said as we watched the blue waves. "The bending world, the gods— I'm actually sick and tired of everything about them." His voice was tired and bitter, like he has been holding grudges on something. "So, you might be the enemy of the Fire Nation, or a bounty hunter, or an assassin, or even the enemy of my father— I don't care." He said. "I don't think you are any of what I've just mentioned but, if you are, I don't care. I would just like to help you because I can."

"What if I'm your enemy?" I asked.

"Then I'll kill you," he said while he smiled at me, then his expression softened in a matter of seconds. "But you are not my enemy. I know my enemy when I see one."

I looked at him in surprise and shuddered. "Fine." I said. I might have just made the second mistake. "So, can you take away my fear?" I asked.

"Uh... I don't think that's a good idea." He said. "I know how we sometimes want to not fear something, but fear makes us more aware; because if you fear something, you'll unconsciously plan a way to deal with them when you have to face them— you'll be prepared. It's one of our most crucial survival instincts."

"Even fear of spiders?" I asked.

He chuckled lightly. "That, it's good to have that gone." He turned to look at me in the eye. "I wouldn't want to take away your fear, not until I see what it is. Trust me when I say it's sometimes good to fear something. Like the fear of failure, because you fear of failing, you'll work harder to prevent such thing from happening."

I blinked at him, wondering why his voice was more soothing than the sound of the ocean.

"But I'm sure I can do something to make the feeling less intense."

I stared at him; his eyes, nose, then his lips, and back to his eyes. "Why are you doing this?"

Taeyong brought his eyebrows together and looked at me, "why wouldn't I?"

I stared at him, not knowing what to say anymore, still wondering why would he help a stranger?

He held his hand in front of me, "give me your hand." He said as he positioned himself so that he was facing me.