Sixty-Five

"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live."- Norman Cousins

Veron's POV

Everything was happening so quickly. People were talking but I wasn't even paying attention. How could I? The girl I love is dead and the worst part about it is we were having a fight and I was too stubborn and egotistical to just forgive her for something so stupid.

Some maids were getting me ready for my court hearing but it was like I wasn't even there. Their voices all sounded jumbled together and I didn't try to make sense of anything they said.

I didn't want to do anything. I wanted my Keisha. I cannot live without her.

Damion is the lucky one. He got turned into a vampire and his girlfriend is still alive. David on the other hand is almost in the same situation as me. Kaitlyn isn't dead but she is not responding to anyone. She has been lying on her bed since yesterday just staring into the ceiling. She seemed to be trapped somewhere.

"Move your foot, Veron. Left then right. Come on." Damion said as I dragged myself out of the room and down the steps.

Mellisa was waiting for us by the car. I guess she's like my lawyer in a way. Evelyn and Vanessa were already seated in the car when Damion and I got in. Why was Evelyn even here? Shouldn't she be at home mourning or seeking revenge for Keisha's death?

We drove in unbearable silence before the car came to a stop.

"We're here," Mellisa announced as if it wasn't obvious.

As we entered the building a sudden feeling of weakness came over me. There were uniformed guards at the door but I couldn't read their minds.

"Your powers are useless here," Mellisa whispered to me. "Only members of the Courts can use their powers."

I rolled my eyes. Why the hell does the Courts get better treatment than any average vampire?

We entered a massive hall with a high towering ceiling. It was almost like a courthouse, only bigger with fewer seats.

"Only Veron is allowed to go in with me," Mellisa announced, pointing to chairs so Damion, Vanessa, and Evelyn could sit and wait outside.

There was a podium with twelve vampires seated on it. I'm guessing they make up the members of the Courts.

Below them was a smaller seat and one of the Court members gestured for me to take a seat. I glanced over at Mellisa and she nodded.

For some weird reason, I was feeling a little nervous. Once I was seated the Court session began.

"What is your name?" The presiding judge asked.

"Veron Cloutier," I answered and he nodded.

"It has come to my attention that you have broken several rules that were set by the former King. Are you aware of these rules?"

"No sir," I answered truthfully.

Mellisa cleared her throat and spoke. "Your honor, King Veron was not educated on the rules of being a vampire or even the history of vampires. His entire memory was erased and some of it was replaced with memories of Malik. He didn't even know that he was a Prince."

I sat there and stared. What else could I do? I was only 21 years old and was hearing for the first time that I was royalty. I am the King of a whole colony of Vampires? I have to be dreaming.

"It is the job of the person who turned him to teach him the rules and how to act. Who is the one who turned him?" The judge asked.

"It was Malik Cloutier, your honor."

A few guards dragged Malik to the center of the room. His hands and feet were chained together and he avoided eye contact with me. My blood boiled as I watched him. He wanted to kill me. I wish I could just punish him mercilessly..... 

"Why didn't you educate this man after you turned him?"

For the first time since he entered the room, Malik looked me in the eye. "He's just like his father, wicked and heartless," Malik said. "He doesn't deserve to live. He deserves to have his head chopped off and his body burned." His eyes were flaming red with hatred.

"Uncle......You can't hold what my father did against me. I know he killed your son but it was an accident. You have to understand that." I started to speak but Mellisa signaled for me to remain quiet. 

The judge rubbed his chin and nodded. "I hereby sentence Malik to death by beheading and the charges against Jermaine and Monique be dropped."

What?

I know he tried to kill me but he didn't deserve to have his head chopped off like this.

"Wait!" I blurted before the judge could pound the gavel to finalize his decision. "Is that the only solution?"

The judge looked at me and I suddenly felt smaller. "Would you like for his life to be spared?"

"Yes," I answered without even thinking it over. Although Malik hasn't really treated me well he is still family and I only have a few of them left. I couldn't allow them to kill him.

"Very well then. Malik is free to go and is not to be seen anywhere near the mansion or near Veron and any of his family members. Jermaine and Monique are free to reside in the mansion."

"Thank you, your honor." Mellisa bowed.

A man and woman were brought to the room and had their handcuffs removed.

Malik was furious. "Jermaine! You son of a bitch!" He pounced at the man. "I'm going to kill you!"

A female member of the Courts stretched out her hand and Malik cried out in agonizing pain as his left leg was being severed from his body. He fell to the floor as guards came and carried his leg away. It was a serious situation but when I saw the look on Malik's face I felt the urge to laugh but I held it back.

The judge gestured for me to stand and I did. "Congratulations King Veron. I see good leadership qualities in you." He came over and extended his hand for me to shake.

I looked at his hand but did not shake it. "I don't want to be a king," I told him firmly and everyone in the room gasped. Almost everyone had their eyes wide open and staring at me.

Melissa broke the silence. "Your honor I think Veron should be first taught about being a vampire before he has the task of being king thrust upon him."

The judge's demeanor remained serious. "Very well then. Mellisa, you have nine months to train him then he will decide." He said them pounded the gavel.

That's it? This is what I have been so nervous about?

"If it's no trouble..." Mellisa started talking again. "I ask that Veron's memories be restored."

Before I could even think about what was going on, the judge stapped his finger and I suddenly felt like I was spinning in a swirl of bright colors. The spinning stopped then I felt as if I was running backward. Buildings, cars, and trees whizzed by as I ran.

I started remembering growing up with Vanessa, my mom, and dad playing with us in the garden at the mansion. I remembered my dad giving me piggyback rides and my mom giving me baths. I remembered the first day in college, the first time I met Damion, and the first time I took Abby on a date. It's like all my memories were being unlocked and I was filled with all my old emotions. I felt better. I felt like a person. A real person with real memories.

I opened my eyes. I was still in the courtroom and they were unchaining Jermaine and Monique Cloutier.

Jermaine and Monique Cloutier. My parents.

I jumped from the seat and ran towards them embracing each of them with a hug.

My mother started crying instantly. "I've missed you so much Cupcake." She said as she held me tight.

I started crying along with them, not only because I was happy to finally meet my parents but also because the girl I would have wanted to introduce them to was now dead.