Fifty-Six

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses." -Abraham Lincoln

Keisha's POV

"Do you think Damion is ok?" Vanessa asked in her thick British accent and I spun around. I yelped. I had no idea she was standing at my door.

"I'm sorry to disturb you Keisha but the boys are out and I don't really have anyone to talk to." The sad look on her face pulled at my heartstrings for a split second before I remembered that she was the one who murdered my dad.

"Oh really? Why don't you go talk to Malik?" I was a bit harsh and regretted it once I saw the look on her face.

She shook her head, coming in and shutting the door behind her. "I've told you before. I have no memory of your father." She came and sat on my bed. "You're a nacre aren't you? Why don't you restore my memory so I'll know for sure?" She looked at me hopefully.

I chuckled. "And how do u propose I do that?"

She cocked her head to the side. "Why don't you want my memories to return? I've seen your mother do it before."

She had my attention. "What did you see her do?" I asked.

"A girl was compelled then her memory erased and your mom restored her."

I was intrigued. "How did she do it?"

Vanessa gave me a chair and had me seated directly in front of her. She took my hands and placed them on either side of her face. "You're mother then placed her forehead on the girl's then started staring into her eyes."

I took a deep breath. This looked so silly. It was like we were in a movie. I did as she said. After staring into her eyes for a few seconds, nothing happened.

"Come on Keisha. You can do this." Vanessa whispered. "Just relax and focus."

I exhaled. "This looks really stupid but I'll try again."

This time I tried looking into her pupils and something weird happened. I felt as if I was being pulled into her body.

I opened my eyes and was back in my old village. It was late evening and kids were playing in the street and men and women going through their daily routines. I saw something move and I walked toward the forest of trees that lined the community. As I neared it I heard Malik's voice.

"Let's do what we came here to do. And please remember to be as clean as you can." All the vampires dispersed making their subtle way into the village.

Only Vanessa remained. "I told you I can't kill. I'm not that heartless." She said shakily.

Malik smiled and then grabbed her by the side of her head. He looked into her eyes and said. "You are a killer Rebecca. You will kill these people mercilessly and you won't remember ever doing it."

Vanessa bowed her head. "I will kill." She said and ran off toward the village. My father was her first victim. I saw myself screaming as she ripped the life from my father. Malik saw also and he came and grabbed me from behind telling me that he was saving me.

I opened my eyes. I couldn't take it anymore. I felt so betrayed. Malik acted like he was my hero. I felt like he was my hero. How could I have been so easily deceived?

Vanessa gritted her teeth. "He made me kill innocent people! I'm going to kill that motherfu-"
She stormed out of the room so I didn't hear her complete her sentence. She was so enraged, that even the walls shook as she stormed out.

"Vanessa wait!" I called after her. I didn't want her to attack Malik. He would get suspicious and I didn't want him to find out that Veron and I were working against him.

She pushed his door opened and stormed in, knocking over a lamp in the process. "Where the hell is he??!!!" She shouted in anger.

"Vanessa! Calm down. Listen to me." I coaxed.

"What is it?" She seethed glaring at me with red eyes.

"You need to try and calm down. We are going to punish Malik for this, I promise. We just need a solid plan first." I told her hoping she would really listen to me.

She blew air through her nose. "When do we start planning?" She huffed.

"As soon as Veron comes home," I told her and she dropped herself to the floor.

Tears streamed down her cheeks. She glanced up at me with a remorseful look in her eyes. "I'm so sorry about your dad. I didn't know what I was doing... if I could just go back-"

"It's ok." I cut her off. "You were compelled. I understand that you couldn't have controlled your actions. I forgive you, Rebecca."

She laughed humourlessly. "So my name is really Rebecca huh?" She squeezed the bedpost. "That son of a bitch is going to pay....even if it's the last thing I do."

She suddenly grabbed her throat and looked up at me. I instantly realized what she was trying to say. Her British accent was gone and she spoke like a native Canadian.

"I'm not British either?" She asked in disbelief. "How could he have done this?!"

I didn't want her to get enraged again so I tried my best to keep her calm. "We'll figure this all out when Veron gets back. In the meanwhile, try not to make him aware of you regaining your memory."

She shook her head. "So what? Now I'll have to pretend to have a British accent?"

I sighed. "I guess that's what you'll have to do."

She got up from the floor. "I think I'm going to go for a run......to clear my head."

I nodded. I needed to clear my head as well. My father was killed, murdered....and it's all Malik's fault.

It made me wonder, something had to have happened to make him so heartless now. He seemed like such a nice person in his letters.

I shut my door and took out his letters. Maybe I can find something in here to use against him.

June 27, 1842

Dear Malik,

I had a bouncing baby boy. By the time you get this letter, he will already be two weeks old. I named him Malcolm just like we agreed to. He wants to meet his daddy soon. We both miss you. Hurry and get home.
Love,
Sophia.

I sighed. That was the last letter and I found nothing I could use against Malik.

"Keisha?" I heard Akeem's tiny voice and I opened the door to let him in.

"Guess what?" He said with joyful eyes. "I'm going home."

"You are?" I asked.

He nodded enthusiastically. "My mother is here to get me."

I didn't recognize the woman walking toward us. "Hi." She stretched out her hand toward me and I took it gingerly. "Thank you for taking care of my boy for me. I really appreciate it. Akeem wanted to say bye before he leaves." She smiled warmly at me.

"May I ask where you were?" I was a little skeptical.

She covered Akeem's ears with her pain. "It's a very painful story so I'd rather not go into detail. After we were taken from the basement of this house, we were taken to a warehouse. They are turning the humans into vampires to create an army. It's very horrible. I was supposed to be turned today but Malik came and got me. He said I have a child so he can't be cruel to me."

I nodded. I could see the hurt and fear in her eyes. I hugged Akeem tight and kissed him on his cheek. "I'm going to miss you, buddy," I told him.

I almost cried when I saw them leaving. What am I going to tell Veron when he comes home and Akeem is not here??