Twenty-Five

"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way."- Martin Luther King Jr.

Veron's POV

I wrapped my free hand around Keisha's waist pulling her closer and deepening the kiss. The softness of her lips and the aroma of her blood were driving me crazy. My whole body was tingling and I wanted more. I kissed her cheek then let my lips travel down to her neck placing soft kisses behind her ears.
Keisha let out the sexiest moan I've ever heard and I tried to pull her even closer.

The pulse on her neck was beating under my tongue and I could feel my vision blurring.

The image of me killing Alicia flashed before my eyes. I jumped up, knocking over the champaign and hitting my back on the wall.

My breathing was heavy. "I think you should leave now Keisha." I gritted my teeth, trying to focus on anything but the tantalizing scent of her blood.

"Are you OK Veron?" Her sweet lips asked me and she bent and took up the overturned bottle, exposing her succulent flesh to me.

I took deep breaths trying to control myself. "Go now!" I shouted at her and watched as fear overtook her features.
She got up and without another word, she hurriedly walked out of my room locking the door behind her.

I took deep breaths. In. Out.

I need blood. Now!

I walked over to my mini-refrigerator and took out a bottle and drank. Within a few seconds, the bottle was empty and I was almost calm. All I need now is a very cold shower to get my hormones under control.

As I stepped out of my bedroom, Damion tackled me. If I didn't know it was him, he would be dead right now.

"What the hell is your problem, Damion!" I shouted at him.

He pointed his finger in my face. "You! You are the problem."

I honestly had no idea of what he was talking about. "How am I a problem? And to whom?" I folded my hands across my chest and waited for him to answer.

"Keisha! What did you do to her?" He glared at me.

Did I bite her not realizing what I was doing? "W-what's wrong with her?" I lowered my voice hoping that Keisha is alright and hoping that I didn't bite her.

"She locked herself in her room and she's crying. She won't let anyone in. Not even her best friend." Damion sounded concerned.

"She has a best friend?" I asked since I know Keisha just told me that she has no friends.

"Me," Damion said hitting his chest. "I'm her best friend. Probably her only friend since you keep messing up!"

I stifled out a laugh. I know this was probably a serious situation but I had to laugh when I saw how heartbroken Damion looked when Keisha probably doesn't even know that he is her best friend.

"What's so funny?" Damion asked, pushing me against the wall and that got me bursting into a fit of laughter.
"Nothing man," I said once I recovered. "I'm going to go check on Keisha now." I started walking in the direction of her room.

"Don't lose her," Damion said and I stopped in my tracks.

"You do know we're not together right?" I asked.

"Regardless. She's a good girl. It would be a shame if you lost her." Damion said then walked into his room, shutting the door behind him.

I stood in the hallway staring at his closed door. I have never seen Damion get serious before. Especially not over something as trivial as a girl.

I shook my head and walked up to Keisha's door. Just as I was about to knock, I heard her crying softly and I decided to give her some time to calm down before I try talking to her.

I stepped into the bathroom and sighed. I needed this shower to clear my head. The water was so refreshing and inviting that I closed my eyes and lived in the moment.
I wish the water could just wash all my troubles away. The humans living in the basement, uncle Malik pressuring me about training for a war that was coming, and Keisha. Well, she wasn't a problem. I was the one causing her problems.

If it wasn't for my thirst for her blood, we would still be in my room and she wouldn't be crying right now. But she caught me off guard. If I had known she was going to kiss me, if I had known how good she would have tasted, I could have prepared myself mentally.

Why does her blood have to smell so good? It's unlike any other I've ever smelled. It makes me go crazy. I have to physically restrain myself whenever I'm near her so when she kissed me I lost all control.

But I won't let that happen again. I would never forgive myself if I hurt her.

Once I got to my room and got dressed, I took up my writing pad and walked back to Keisha's room. I knocked on the door and I could still hear her muffled cries.

"Keisha. It's me." I said quietly. "Open the door. We need to talk."

Her crying stopped and she remained quiet. If it wasn't for my enhanced abilities I wouldn't have known she was in there. I knocked again. "Keisha. Please open the door." I said.

Still no answer. I felt defeated. This must be how Keisha felt all the times that I used to lock myself in my room when she was trying to reach out to me.

So I did what she would do. I started writing a note.

Hi Keisha. How are you feeling?

I slid it under the door and waited.

A few minutes later she drew the paper under the door and wrote back.

I am feeling embarrassed. Please leave me alone.-K.P.

I smiled as I read it and saw her initials. Why she feels the need to add her signature to every note she writes is beyond me.

We need to talk. I'm sorry about how I reacted earlier. We really need to talk about it and clear up any misunderstandings. If you lock yourself into your room you will only be hurting yourself.

Why did you lock yourself in your room Veron?- K.P

Open the door and I'll tell you.

I wrote back and waited for her to respond. I will wait for her to respond even if it takes forever.

The lock spun and the door opened just a rack.
"Can I come in?" I asked, knowing I had to be invited in first.

Keisha opened the door wider but didn't answer my question so I stood in the doorway.

"Come in." She finally said as she walked over to her bed and sat down.

"I'm really sorry about earlier." I apologized again and she nodded.

"It was my fault." She said. "I should have known that kissing a vampire would be dangerous." She held down her head.

"Keisha you know I would never physically hurt you, right?" I asked but she didn't answer. I used my finger to lift her chin. "You know that, right?" I asked again and she nodded slowly.

"Never have I ever kissed anyone other than you so I'm sorry if I didn't know what to do." She said and goosebumps overtook my body.