Forty-Three

"Love doesn't cost a thing but falling in love with the wrong person could cost you everything."

Keisha's POV

I was overjoyed. I twisted and turned all night unable to sleep. My mother was going to get us out of here. She has a plan and I trust her completely.

I pondered all night on where she was taking us. I was too excited to sleep. I finally had someone on my side. Someone who had my best interest at heart. I have so many questions to ask my mother. I can't wait for us to get some time alone. But I have to be careful just like she warned me.

I got out of bed and looked at the time. It was 1:23 am and I haven't slept a wink. I clicked on the light and sat up in bed. I needed to calm myself down so I can get some sleep.

Malik's letters.

I took out the bundle of letters and read the second one.

July 15, 1841

Dear Malik,

I cannot tell you how much it hurts to be away from you for a whole year. I am counting down the days until the day I will visit you again. Mother and Father will be accompanying me this time so we will have less time to ourselves. I'm extremely sorry about that and I apologize in advance. They wanted to meet you because I haven't stopped talking about you since the day I got back. I will see you soon my love.
Forever yours,
Sophia.

So Malik had someone who loved him. I still find that hard to believe. After reading the letter I still didn't feel sleepy so I moved on to the next letter.

July 27, 1841

Dear Malik,
Mother and Father went out to a business meeting with your parents. Would you like to come to my bed chamber? I told my maid and your maid to keep watch in case our parents return before their expected time. I am so excited about our first time together. Please don't keep me waiting.
Always yours,
Sophia.

Now that is interesting. I found myself comparing Malik and Sophia to Veron and meLiving in a house with people watching us all the time can be a bit annoying.

What if I sneaked into Veron's room just like Malik did to Sophia? Would he be surprised to see me?

My skin tingled with anticipation as I got out of bed and tiptoed to Veron's room. I didn't knock when I reached his door. I turned the doorknob and pushed the door open.

Inside the room was pitch black but I knew my way around. I walked over to the bed and stretched out my hand to touch Veron but he wasn't there. The bed was empty.

"Help..." I heard a faint cry and I hurriedly click the lights on. Veron was sprawled on the floor gaping like a fish that was taken from the water!

I rushed over to him. "What's wrong?" I asked trying not to panic. "Are you OK?"

He shook his head. "No. Need blood."

"Should I go get some from the kitchen?" I asked.

Once again he shook his head. "Nacre blood." He said before his eyes started to slowly shut down.

"Veron!" I shouted as I shook him vigorously. "Wake up!"

He didn't respond. What if he was dying? The thought of not seeing him again made me weak. I searched the room frantically until I found a pocket knife.

I screamed in pain as I used the knife to cut my wrist and place it over Veron's mouth.

The blood started dripping down his throat and I wanted him to respond. What if doesn't wake up?

As if heard me, his eye popped open and he grabbed my wrist so he could have better access to the blood.

Veron looked scary. His fangs were extended and his eyes were scarlet red. It was as if he was in a different world as he drank from me.

I felt weak. I was losing too much blood. If he didn't stop drinking now, he will surely put me in a coma or even worse, kill me.

"Veron you need to stop," I told him faintly but he didn't seem to hear me and I found myself fading in and out of consciousness. He needed to stop now.

"Veron!" I heard Vanessa's voice before I blacked out.

I was falling. There was blackness all around but I felt stress-free. I floated downwards aimlessly. Did I die? Did Veron release his venom into me? Did he change me? I don't want to be a vampire!

"Keisha!" I heard my name being called. It sounded far away and I closed my eyes not wanting to be disturbed. I didn't want to leave this blissful place.

"Keisha!" I heard the voice again, a bit closer this time. "You need to open your eyes K.P. You can't leave me......I love you."

That was Veron. He just confessed that he loves me. I need to see him say it just to make sure. I tried to open my eyes but they felt heavy. I couldn't open my eyes no matter how hard I tried. They just seemed to be....stuck. What the hell is happening to me?

"There's nothing else we can do." I heard Malik's voice. "We've lost her."