Thirty-Four

"The fear of failure is no excuse for not trying."

Veron's POV

She stared at me and I knew there was no way to take back what I just said to her. I walked around the table to where she was standing. I could hear her heart beating faster and I hoped that was a good sign. I lifted her chin with one finger and lowered my head to kiss her.

She stepped back a little, backing into the counter behind her. "V-veron...what are you doing?" Her breath came out labored and if I wasn't a vampire I wouldn't be able to hear what she said.
"I'm about to kiss my girlfriend," I told her and her breath hitched.

I leaned in and she seemed to stop her breath as she waited.
I brushed my lips against hers and she clutched the counter. I let my lips travel to her ears. "I won't kiss you until you agree to be my girlfriend," I whispered hotly into her ears and turned and walked out of the kitchen, leaving her breathing heavily.

I smiled to myself. I know she will be thinking about me all day and night. She wants me.

I walked up to my room with a smile still on my face. Life is good. Life is great. Life is-

"What the hell?" I stared at my bedroom door. The word 'monster' was written on it in bold letters.

I walked over to Damion's door and pounded on it. When I didn't get a reply, I pushed the door open.

I let out a manly yelp. Laying on the bed were Kaitlyn and David and they were as naked as the day they were born.
They didn't seem to notice my presence as they continued making out with each other.

I cleared my throat and Kaitlyn screamed, grabbing the sheet to cover her nakedness.

"What the hell man! Couldn't you knock?" David said, covering himself as well.

"Hmmm I did knock but there was no answer," I told him. "And why are you guys in Damion's room by the way?"

Kaitlyn glanced at David as if she was waiting for his approval before she spoke. "I swapped rooms with Damion a few days ago. It's the only way we can be together without anyone suspecting us...... And Damion said he wants to be as far away from you as possible."

I sighed and sat down on a nearby Ottoman. I really messed up badly. I shouldn't have let Damion find out I'm a vampire the way he did. I got up to leave.

"You guys really need to learn how to lock doors if you're planning to always do nasty things," I told the still blushing Kaitlyn as I closed the door behind me.

I sighed heavily as I climbed the stairs to the fourth story where Kaitlyn's room was. As I was about to knock, the door swung open. Damion didn't even seem surprised to see me.
"What do you want?" He asked flatly.

"I'm here to talk," I told him.

"I can't talk now." He said with his face free of any emotion. "Some of us have to attend classes so we can pass our exams. Not all of us can read the lecturer's mind and fill in the answers." With that, he brushed passed me and started descending the stairs.

I haven't been to classes in such a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if my lecturers didn't remember my face. I flashed to my room and was ready by the time Damion reached the front door.

I unlocked the door and followed Damion to his car.

"What do you think you are doing?" He asked as I sat in the front.

"I'm going to school. What does it look like I'm doing?"

"Get out of my car," Damion said through gritted teeth, opening the door and waiting for me to get out. "I do not want to be seen with a monster."

I sighed. "Am I the same monster who drove you home from parties when you got drunk and puked all over yourself? Am I the same monster who helped you out when you were too fearful to talk to girls?" I said and watched his demeanor change. I was getting somewhere with him so I continued.
"Am I not the one who went with you when you told your very uptight parents that you didn't want to become a doctor? Am I not the one who stayed by your side in the hospital when that girl gave you that awful disease?"

"Shut up man!" He slammed the door shut and walked around to the driver's side. I knew then that I was forgiven.

He started the car. "And I was never too shy to talk to girls...I was just waiting until I outgrew my pimples and developed my deep bass voice and a few muscles."

"Right," I said, as we pulled onto the road.

"So are you like....dead?" He asked and I couldn't help but laugh.

"I don't know...I don't think so. I guess my heart is just beating at a slower pace." I told him truthfully.

"How can you not know? How long have you been a vampire?"

"I just found a couple of months ago....the day Abby broke up with me."

Damion stepped on the brake. "What?! You are a new vampire? Are you able to control your thirst? I don't think I should be in a car with you in such a secluded place!" His wide eyes and furrowed brows told just how scared he was.

I laughed. "Relax man. I'll explain it all to you when we get home. By the way, there is only one type of blood that I crave."

"What type?" Damion asked with generous curiosity.

"Keisha's blood." I barely whispered.