Forty-Eight

"The brave may fall but never yield."

Keisha's POV

September 3, 1841

Dear Malik,

The doctor has confirmed that I'm indeed pregnant. Since your parents have agreed for us to get married, mother and father have decided that I should keep the baby. Words cannot express how happy I am to be able to bring life into this world and to have a supportive future husband. Our parents will be meeting to discuss the arrangements for the wedding. I will write to you soon.
Your future wife,
Sophia.

I pushed the letters back under my mattress and went to brush my teeth.

I love Malik and Sophia's story. Everything seemed so simple and less complicated than things are now. Sometimes I wish I could go back in time and see how life felt back then.

After brushing my teeth, I went back to my room and closed the door behind me. I couldn't resist it. I had to read another letter.

September 15, 1841

Dear Malik,

I'm just writing to let you know how much I miss you and I think the baby misses you too. I keep throwing up every time I eat. Maybe when you are around I will be able to eat without getting upset.
Did I tell you how excited I am about our wedding next week? I hope you are as excited as I am.
Forever yours
Sophia.

My new phone beeped beside me on the bed. It was a text from Veron.

Hey babe. What are you up to?

I quickly texted back.

I'm here remembering our lovely date. K.P.

Oh really. Don't you remember that we live in the same house? The date can continue all night long. Can you come to my room now?

I'll think about it. K.P

I giggled as I wrote the text. I love teasing him.
I didn't let him know that as I received his text, I got out of bed and started walking toward his bedroom.
I didn't have to knock on his door. He had it opened, waiting for me.

The first thing I saw was the bottle of red wine on his dresser. The second things I saw were the rose petals scattered on the floor and the bed. The third thing I saw was the scented candles placed around the room. It was absolutely breathtaking.

"Welcome to Hotel de LA Veron," Veron said, trying an Italian accent. He sounded really weird. "Come in my princess. I've been expecting you." He bowed before me.

I walked gingerly into the room, admiring the scenery. Veron placed the champagne along with two beanbags on the ground. "Tonight we find out everything about each other." He said, gesturing for me to occupy the empty beanbag.

I closed the door behind me and went to sit beside him. I was honestly a little nervous about finding out everything about Veron. What if he did something bad in the past? What if he is not a good person?

"I can't read your mind K.P. so you'll have to tell me what you're thinking." Veron looked at me with concern.

I shook my head. "It's nothing. How did you know I liked roses."

Veron chuckled. "Well, that's easy. You are always visiting the garden so I figured you must like the scent of flowers."

I beamed at him. "You're absolutely right...but I hope you didn't cut down my rose bushes from the garden."

He smiled and turned in attention to opening the champagne and pouring two glasses full.

"Let's make a toast." He said, handing me a glass. "To sharing everything and having no secrets from now on..." He raised his glass to me.

"Cheers." We said simultaneously then drank.

"So," Veron said slowly. "I heard that you went out on a date. Who is this mystery guy? Is he a good person?"

I smiled at him and played along. "Yes, he's very handsome. We went to see a movie at first but we got bored and he took me on a boat ride instead."

"Hmmm....that's nice. But you didn't answer my question. Is he a good person?"

I giggled. "Yes, he is. He's one of the best people I've ever met. He's a vampire but I don't think he has it in him to hurt any human being. He's not that kind of guy."

Veron stared at me with an expression that I couldn't decipher. I didn't like the look he was giving me.

"I killed a girl." He said, after what felt like hours. "I drained all the blood from her then I buried her."

My champagne glass fell from my hand. I was frozen to the spot. I couldn't think straight. I couldn't believe what I just heard. Veron is a cold-hearted killer? No. It's just not possible.