Fifty-Five

"Difficulties in your life do not come to destroy you. But to help you realize your hidden potential and power.

Veron's POV

I grabbed a towel and quickly dried off, closing the bathroom door behind me so that Keisha could finish taking her shower.

"Hurry up before he turns!" Vanessa barked and we both flashed toward Damion's room.

He was lying on the floor and seemed to be in excruciating pain. His hand had a huge bite mark on it and his eyes were beginning to roll over as his body shook violently on the floor.

"Do something Veron!" Vanessa rushed to his side trying to hold him still.

I did the only thing I could think of. I bit my own hand and placed it over his mouth.  Vanessa tried her best to hold him still so that the blood could go down his throat.

A few seconds later he stopped shaking. He lay there still as the summer sea barely breathing. His heartbeat slowed down and Vanessa looked at me worriedly. "Please don't let him die." She pleaded.

Just then Keisha opened the bedroom door and walked in. When she saw Damion on the floor with the bite mark on his hand, she ran over to him dropping to her knees. She rubbed her hand over his forehead.

"Damion. Wake up...P-Please." She sobbed.

Nothing happened.

"Do you think I should go and call Malik? He would know what to do." Vanessa suggested.

"No!" Keisha and I blurted out simultaneously.

Vanessa squinted her eyes at us. "Why not?"

I didn't know what to tell her. Keisha kept her mouth shut as well. We didn't know who we can trust as yet.

"Why can't I go get him?" She asked again.

As if he was trying to save us from Vanessa's interrogating question, Damion coughed.

"Let me get him up on the bed," I said, happy that my friend wasn't dead.

Vanessa started kissing him instantly. "My baby is back. Oh my God. Keisha, can you get him a glass of water please?"

Keisha obliged, quickly getting up from the floor and walking toward the kitchen.

"What happened baby?" Vanessa asked him as he tried to sit up and scanned the room with his eyes.

He breathed in and out deeply. "Am I a vampire now?" He asked and held up his arm to look at the bite mark. It had already started to heal because of the blood I gave him. "What the hell? Why is it healing? I don't feel any different. Why am I not feeling the urge to drink blood?"

You've got to be kidding me!

"You let someone bite you so you could change?" I asked. I couldn't believe that he could have been this stupid.

Keisha returned with the water and handed it to Damion. "How are you feeling now?" She asked.

"Pretty normal," Damion answered, popping his p and looking very disappointed. 

"Ladies, can you give us a moment alone please?" I asked and both Keisha and Vanessa exited the room.

As they closed the door behind them I slapped Damion over his head.

"What the hell were you thinking man?!" I scolded him. "Why would you want to change?"

He rubbed his head. "That's a no-brainer. I have a girlfriend who is a vampire and I want to protect her. Now I can't protect her if I'm still human. Understand?"