Forty-One

"Soft nature of a person does not mean weakness. Remember, nothing is softer than water but its force can break the strongest of rocks.

Veron's POV

Mom? Why was she calling this lady mom? I thought she said both her parents were killed.

"What are you both still standing here for? Get out of my room." Malik gave us a bloody smile and I felt Keisha tense beside me.

"Mom." She cried. "Look at me. I thought you were-were dead."

The lady smiled and looked at Malik adoringly.

"Nah. She was here all along." Malik boasted.

Tears streamed down Keisha's face. "This is not happening." She whispered in disbelief.

"We have been together for months now." The lady said, still smiling at Malik like a lovesick teenager.

Malik kissed her and then turned to Keisha. "I hope you cleaned the guest room very well because that is where Evelyn will be staying." He said, gesturing to Keisha's mother.

Evelyn placed her hand on her chest. "I have my own room? Thank you, baby." She swooned.

"Leave," Malik said again as we both stared at them in disbelief. "Why do you look so sad? You got what you wished for."

His words made me feel sick. I didn't know what to do or say at the moment. Malik ushered us out and slammed the door shut in our faces.

"What the hell just happened?" I looked at Keisha. "I thought you said your parents died. This is crazy!"

Keisha shoved me. "This is all your fault!" She screamed at me.

"How is this my fault?!"

Tears were flowing freely down her cheeks now. "If you didn't walk in on Malik and me all of this could have been avoided!"

Is she really blaming me for this?

"If I didn't walk in on you guys you would have never found out that your mother is still alive," I said slowly and watched as her anger subdued. She knew I was right.

"Did you know they were a couple? How can they be? What about dad? Didn't she love dad?" She vented her frustration.

I did the only thing I could think of at the moment. I hugged her and she began bawling. It was the ugliest sound I've ever heard!

I rubbed her back. "There's possibly a good explanation for all this. Things will work themselves out."

Her crying died down. "I'm going to bed." She hiccupped, drying her face with the sleeve of her blouse.

As she walked away, I felt like I'd just lost a battle. I walked to the kitchen and poured myself some juice.

When did Evelyn start living here? Was she one of those who were in the basement? This is all too mysterious for me. I never liked watching detective shows or reading novels about solving mysteries. Now I wish I had.

Kaitlyn walked into the kitchen. "David is going crazy." She told me as she poured herself some juice.

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

"He forgot my birthday!"

I just realized that someone I thought was dead is still living, I have a deceiving uncle and I need to find a way to comfort my girlfriend while Kaitlyn is worried about someone forgetting her birthday!!

"Are you sure?" I asked. "Maybe he's a little preoccupied," I assured her.

She growled. "He's preoccupied alright....probably with another girl." She leaned her head to one side. "Did you know he hasn't come home in two days? It's like he's purposely punishing me!"

I sighed. "Just call him Kaitlyn. Be the bigger guy....well girl." I told her as I got up to leave.

"But I wasn't finished talking." She protested.

"Goodnight Kaitlyn. Call the guy." I left her in the kitchen grumbling to herself.

I walked to my room deciding to give Keisha some space to process all that happened tonight.

I pushed my bedroom door opened and clicked on the light.

"Never have I ever been so confused in my entire life," Keisha said and if I didn't smell her blood before opening the door, I would have been frightened.

"Me too K.P." I sighed as I sat beside her on the bed.

She cleared her throat. "I want to forget what happened." She said timidly.

"You will get over the shock although it might take a while," I assured her.

She rolled her eyes. "Never have I ever met a guy who cannot read his girlfriend's feelings."

A smile made its way to my lips. "So you're my girlfriend now?" I teased her.

"No that's not what I meant. I was speaking figuratively." She lied.

"Nope. You can't take it back now. You said you are my girlfriend and a drunk man tell no tales."

She slapped me across my head. "I'm neither drunk nor a man so you have a poor case mister." She said and I couldn't help but laugh.

I stood up and took off the pants and shirt leaving only my underwear.

"What are you doing?" Keisha asked nervously with a hint of amusement in her voice.

"I'm going to bed," I told her as I slipped under the covers. "Hi, girlfriend. What's up?" I beamed at her and earned another slap across the head.

I held her hand before she could slap me again. "You know I'm glad you're not a vampire. My brain would be smashed in by now."

Keisha giggled. "Kaitlyn is a vampire and David's skull isn't smashed in." She continued giggling.

"Did you know the other day was Kaitlyn's birthday and David forgot?! Kaitlyn is going crazy."

Keisha placed her hands on her cheeks. "Oh my gosh! He gave me her gift to hide for him. He must have forgotten to collect it. That's very unlike him."

I wiggled my brows at her. "Let's not talk about that couple. Let's talk about this couple." I said as I dragged her toward me and started tickling her mercilessly.

"Stop!" She screamed breathlessly.

"Not until you admit you are my girlfriend."

"OK OK!" She screamed even louder.

"OK, what?" I tortured her some more.

"I'm your girlfriend. I'm your girlfriend." She said breathlessly and I leaned in and kissed her.

"You can't take it back K.P," I told her and she smiled.

"I won't."

We lay on the bed staring into the ceiling with Keisha breathing heavily. A few minutes later her breathing turned into snores. I pulled the covers over her body and got out of bed. There's just one thing I have to do before going to sleep...